cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Fingerprint sensor fails to read/respond

I have a new S10 with all current updates. I just updgraded to the S10 from an S7 (why..????)

The S7 had a very reliable and responsive fingerprint sensor. But now the S10 with the sensor on screen leaves A LOT to be desired, the fingerprint sensor is awful. Its only succesful maybe 20~25% of the time, and yes I've played with the screen sensitivity setting and it makes no difference. As comnpared to an S7 which was 99% accurate, this is a real setback.

Very disappointed.

Is there a solution to this?

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Fingerprint sensor fails to read/respond

Do you have a third party screen protector on your device?

Are you using any third party launchers on your device?

Do you experience these symptoms if you test your device in safe mode? If your phone is misbehaving, it's possible that a third-party app is causing the issue. To figure out what app is acting funny, you can use the Safe Mode feature. In Safe Mode, your phone won't run any third-party apps. This allows you to easily identity and remove the app that may be causing the problem. Give this link a try: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Thanks - but this was happening while I waited for my screen protector to arrive for at least one week, so no, I don't believe the screen protector is the issue. Then once I installed the screen protector, it continued to fail at about the same rate, and really has not made any difference. The behavior is that it senses my finger prints, but does not recognize. Then its asks to press harder - which sometimes it works and others not.

And I do not use any 3rd party launchers, so thats not the issue either.

I did try the safe mode as suggested, but it made no different  appx 3 out 5 attempts fail. I have also erased and re-scanned all 4 fingerprints. No progress. I have always scanned my two thumbs and two index fingers.

It interesting how either before of after the screen protector, for some reason it nevers likes to recognize my left thumb at all, though it will verify it as valid. And BTW - when verifying fingerprints, it's much more accurate. Not sure why this is defferent as its goning through the same layer of screen protector.

IMO - its a poor performing design fp scanner- whereas the actual physical button on the S7 worked  99% of  the time - often even with a less than clean finger. Frankly, I'm disappointmned in Samsung's choice to go with this type of through the fp screen (ultrasocnic?) mounted scanner. I'm hoping there is a solution to this as I've become quite used to it.

Can the sensitivity of the fingerprint scanner be enhanced (other than screen sesitivity itself which I have already played with)?

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Give these steps a try: 

1. Head to Settings in the app tray or tap the gear-shaped settings button in the pulldown bar
  2. Select Display from the list of options
  3. Scroll down till you find Touch Sensitivity
  4. Toggle the switch to ON to increase touch sensitivity for use with screen protectors.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Thanks... as mentioned in my reply, I've already played with that.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

I would recommend trying to add a new finger other than the ones you have already scanned to see if you still experience these symptoms. If you continue to experience these symptoms, I would recommend a service repair. Can you please provide me with the following information in a private message: http://bit.ly/2JH2rq2

Full Name:

Street address:

Email Address:

Best Contact Number:

Alternate Telephone Number: (If Available)

Model Code:

Serial/IMEI Number:

Highlighted
Astronaut

Remember when u set your fingerprint to not set them holding your finger up and down. Hold the phone in your hand as if you were going to use it. Then set your fingerprints .. your thumb for example might be sideways but it will register it that way so when you go to unlock your phone it remembered it