cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samsung_6nQDDjC
Astronaut

Front facing camera super zoomed in

When using social media apps the front facing camera on the S10+ is automatically, uncomfortably zoomed in. I've read that this is because the camera is too advanced for the apps and its something snapchat, Instagram, etc has to fix. Is this true? When can we expect this to be fixed?

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Front facing camera super zoomed in

@Samsung_6nQDDjC wrote:

When using social media apps the front facing camera on the S10+ is automatically, uncomfortably zoomed in. I've read that this is because the camera is too advanced for the apps and its something snapchat, Instagram, etc has to fix. Is this true? When can we expect this to be fixed?

Hey @Samsung_6nQDDjC, I hope you're doing well.

This is because the default front camera is the first camera (80° point of view.) App makers like Snapchat and Instagram need to specify the use of the second camera. Camera support needs to be added from the app developers. I'm right there with you, I really dislike having to have my phone far away to capture everything.

I hope that helps!

@SamsungCole @SamsungAdam @SamsungRei, can we have this post listed as a feature suggestion?

Thank you!

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.
ItsAngela
Astronaut

Hi there, Is it really an app issue? I just got my Note10 and the front facing camera is extremely zoomed in not only on all social media camera modes, but even using group mode on the regular front facing camera is still too close up. Do you know if this something Samsung is looking into fixing? Thanks Smiley Happy

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

@Rydah We have marked it as a feature request. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

ItsAngela
Astronaut

Hi, I just got my Note10 and the front facing camera is extremely zoomed in not only on all social media camera modes, but even using group mode on the regular camera is still too close up. Is this something Samsung is looking into fixing? 

ItsAngela
Astronaut

@SamsungAdam Hi,I just got my Note10 and the front facing camera is extremely zoomed in not only on all social media camera modes, but even using group mode on the regular camera is still too close up. Is this something Samsung is looking into fixing?

BlackoutsBox
Constellation

It's not just social media apps, it's VIDEO in general.

#1 - the s10 plus front camera is not as wide angle as past cameras

#2 the s10plus front facing camera defaults to a almost 2x zoom (artificial software zoom)

#3 even though you can select the wide angle icon in the native samsung camera app, this is only for stills, as soon as you slide over to video it will pop back to the ugly 2x zoom

#4 this gets even worse in all social media apps that use the front facing camera because they take a lower quality image of an already lower quality image

THIS IS NOT an issue with Snapchat, facebook, Instagram, Skype, or any 3rd party app, this is a SAMSUNG issue.  Their stupid camera app software ALWAYS DEFAULTS to the 2x artificial zoomed in mode.  Even if you select wide angle it is only for one picture and then when you open the camera app again it will be back to the ugly zoomed mode. RIDICULOUS ON THE TOP HIGH END FLAGSHIP PHONE FOR THIS PRICE.

Again, it is impossible to take a video using the wide angle (ka the real lens) as the phone always pops back into the artificial 2x zoom on the front facing camera as soon as you change from photo mode to video mode - and there is no icon on video mode to switch back.

SAMSUNG FIX THIS NOW OR REFUND ME! This is terrible to not be able to use a phone at this price point for social media and you have had hundreds of people complaining and done nothing.

- Blackout

Annamarie0408
Cosmic Ray

See the issue isn't the 3rd party at this point it is on Samsung. They have set the default for the camera app to be on the zoomed-in part (why? who the heII knows). 

Apps such as SnapChat, Facebook and Instagram use the default camera application on the phone, which in this case is in fact the zoomed-in lens. This is what is causing the issue. This should not be on the 3rd party to fix because that would require a lot of work since it isn't just a Galaxy S10 issue (I own the Note 9). Samsung themselves need to fix this. 

I had to downgrade my firmware on my Note 9 to fix the issue, which isn't a fix for the s10 since you don't have the firmware I do. Samsung says they are releasing a firmware in Germany right now that had night mode and major camera fixes so we will have to see if this fixes the issue or not. 

Samsung_cwTCDlJ
Astronaut

Thanks again

Thanks again

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Give this a shot:

Go to Settings > Apps > Show system Apps (click on the 3 vertical dots upper right of screen) >
 Camera > Storage > Clear Data and Clear Cache. 
 Restart Phone