cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
usertGcRKKonaW
Constellation

Galaxy S10 Upgrade Nightmare - Voice Calls Dropping 80-90% of Time

My wife and I have been Sprint customers for over 15 years. We have never had an issue with a device until we upgraded her S7 to a Samsung Galaxy S10 on 9/6/19.   The device, and it’s replacements, have consistent call quality issues which are unacceptable.

80-90% of phone calls either are full of static, fade in/out, and then drop or drop right away. Other party cannot hear, calls are garbled, and call quality is poor. Other Galaxy S10 in household (manufactured around 2/2019) works perfectly side by side, 100% of the time. Not dependent on location of phone (i.e. happens at home, on road, etc. ) or if bluetooth device connected/not connected. Network resets done, software upgrades performed, towers checked, all to no avail.  VoLTE not currently turned on, as it did not seem to help at all.

We have replaced the phone 3 times, been through every troubleshooting step provided by Tech Support, went to the Sprint store several times with “no problems found”, and are beyond frustrated.

Again, the same issues happened on the original, the replacement S10, and the replacement of the replacement.  I believe that there is a problem on her line of service (possibly a network setting, account setting, etc) but no one at Sprint has been able to figure out the issue (including 2nd level Tech Support).  

On the last replacement (from Asurion, since we have been working on this problem for almost 3 months now) I did not copy anything over (contacts, apps, etc) and tried it right out of box.  Same issue.

Contacted 2nd level support again last week.  Agent disconnected the line from the account temporarily, put back on, and placed a test call and he was unable to hear me at all. Agent spoke with a colleague and recommended that I contact Asurion for a new phone. I explained that we have already done that 3 times and aren’t interested in a 4th time.

Then forwarded me to Account Services. Explained that we just want to go back to the S7 at this point.  In discussing options with Account Services agent, he told me that lease cannot be cancelled, and I should consult Samsung for manufacturer’s warranty. In speaking with him, he had me turn off phone while he refreshed ALL network settings and turned phone back on. We then did a test call and the call was successful for 10+ mins. However, after that call, problems went back to normal same day and calls are still 80-90% drops now.

I am fairly convinced that getting another replacement phone and/or sending it to Samsung for repair are not going to do anything.

Any ideas?  So frustrated that I don't know where to go next.....

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Galaxy S10 Upgrade Nightmare - Voice Calls Dropping 80-90% of Time

If you purchased your phone through Sprint you should see if they will let you try a different model. There have been tons of reports of issues with the S10 on Sprint. Sprint knows about the issue and they might be able to recommend a model that works better on their network.

Sebster0902
Constellation

With all due respect, I had sprint and I thought it was the best network. I was convinced to change when I was tired of paying my high bills, I moved on to Cricket Wireless, hands down, I'm extremely satisfied and pay..... well it's a phone bill. Not a car payment.

My point was that there are known problems with the S10 on the Sprint network. No matter how many times you return your phone that isn't going to change so you should consider a different phone model that doesn't have those issues. Sprint and Verizon are basically the only CDMA carriers on the planet and Sprint is trying to merge with T-mobile partly so they can dump CDMA which is an inferior network standard.

The CDMA standard is incapable of fast data connections which is why your phone has a SIM card--Sprint uses CDMA for voice and GSM for 4G. But Volte calls do go through GSM so your phone needs to switch between two different standards for voice calls depending on signal strength and network routing. Samsung used to make separate hardware models just for Sprint and Verizon but stopped a couple years ago.