JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy s10e setting phone to vibrate silences notifications

(Topic created: 07-08-2019 07:50 AM)
user0A7BenSrIE
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

When I hold the volume rocker down to vibrate, or I choose "vibrate" from the Sound settings, my Galaxy s10e silences notifications (see attached). My old S8 (and every other phone I've owned) would match the notifications to the phone, i.e., when the phone was set to ring so was notifications. Screenshot_20190707-114938_Settings.jpg

Members_o5l1ZBW
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Wiping the cache partition does not fix the problem. Need to be able to adjust notification vibration separately from ringtone, not have ringtone vibration turn off the notification options! 

0 Likes
useraSglPvi3UU
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Wont change

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Device is set to vibrate so is the notification -  just you can't adjust the bar since its set up to match ringtone. in this above setting - your notification & phone calls both will vibrate.  In the picture above you can see notification greyed out but in vibrate mode. 

Please check again if your notification  & text message vibrates or goes to silent. If its silent, then definately a bug. 

0 Likes
user0A7BenSrIE
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Notifications are silent when the phone is set to vibrate. That's the problem. How do I fix?

0 Likes
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@user0A7BenSrIE Did you try the troubleshooting steps provided for wiping the cache partition?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
user72OWnNUCDo
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This might be the most infuriating answer I've ever seen. You literally just asked him if the scenario he described in the original post is the scenario. He said his phone doesn't vibrate for notifications when his system is set to vibrate (only calls vibrate). Then you asked him if his phone vibrates for notifications when his system is set to vibrate. Why did you even respond?

0 Likes
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

What you are seeing is exactly the expected operation of a phone.

When you say "match the notifications to the phone" you are correct and it is exactly what your S10e is doing. It is matching the notifications to the ringtone (the phone).

If you set ringtone sound to silent or vibrate, the notifications will match. The reason for this is that if someone is in the movie theater, at church, or where ever they don't want noise,  they set their phone to silent or vibrate and it eliminates all unexpected notifications.

Media is a separate item since it is initiated by the user and not by some outside event (phone call, text, etc.).

0 Likes
user72OWnNUCDo
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

You're not understanding the prompt:

The system is set to vibrate. When a call comes in, it vibrates. When a text/email/push comes in, it's silent. And it can't be adjusted to get a vibration for those notifications without turning the ringer on to sound.

user9wm0mRcm2f
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same issue and it's driving me crazy.  The responses below don't really seem to be understanding or addressing the problem.  

userGO4VymFSE6
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

yeah its like, no one is actually reading the original problem or are just assuming the user doesn't understand.... 

THIS IS A REAL BUG. yes the phone is set to vibrate. And when notifications come in for texts/emails/etc. It behaves as if it were on silent. It also does not allow you to adjust your notification volume when the call volume is on vibrate. 

In summary, the options for notification volume while experiencing this frustrating bug are:

- Sound, while ring is on sound 

- Silence, while ring is on either vibrate or silent.