cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Google assistant bug - alarms are not created, but Assistant answers they are!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

(Not necessarily the Galaxy S10 specific thing, but I didn't find any closer board for this. Set it so as I own S10e)

Wnenever you try to setup a new alarm by voice using Google Assistant ("Ok google set the alarm to 8 am") and you're already having 50 existing alarms (some sort of restriction so you can't have more than 50):

- the voice respond from Assistant would be "Done"

- in the pseudo-chat window where your speach is recognized and written down the green V mark appears reflecting the the action was completed successfully

- the popup floating system message from "Clock" app temporary appears on a screen that action cannot be completed

- no alarm is created

I was lucky enough and checked the screen of my phone before going to sleep, so I catch this small floating system message saying that I've reach the limit of 50 alarms (it appears for just a couple of seconds) on time and didn't oversleep the important event.

I treat it as a "Clock" app bug or interface bug of both "Clock" and "Google Assistant". Supposingly "Clock" app responses back to "Google Assistant" with some positive return even if it couldn't do the requested action, which makes "Google Assistant" to respond back to user that the requested action was done.

I contacted Samsung support team on Twitter official but they suggested me to raise this topic here.

Screenshot_20200817-190106_Google.jpg

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Google assistant bug - alarms are not created, but Assistant answers they are!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Found solution by myself - there's some other Samsung user faced the similar issue (https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S10/Google-Voice-not-setting-alarm/td-p/1379730) and the fix was to update Google app.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Nebula

Re: Google assistant bug - alarms are not created, but Assistant answers they ..

JUMP TO SOLUTION
doesn't sound like a bug to me many apps have restrictions like this. for instance samsung music player will only recognize the first 1000 tracks it detects even tho I have 1000's more on my sd.

and to be honest 50 alarms set is quite a few.
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Google assistant bug - alarms are not created, but Assistant answers they ..

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I wouldn't have raised this at all, but the voice response from Google Assistant was "Sure. Your alarm was set up". This is clearly a bug

Highlighted
Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION
thats on Googles end not samsungs.
Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

When you:

- buy some product from company A

- and company A covers that product with warranty

... you shouldn't give a s..t that product is made out of thousands components produced by companies B to Z. If something is wrong with product you just go to company A. Which I did. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

see below for more details

Highlighted
Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION
the phone has obviously reached it limit of alarms. Google assistant is a Google app not samsungs. google assistant gave you the misinformation. the alarm app did what it was supposed to do not allow more than 50 alarms.

see it how you like but I see this a googles issue.
Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Don't be too quick to judge.

Voice assistant is made by Google indeed, but god knows if Samsung applied their hands to it. Then the app with alarms, called "Clock". It's made by Samsung. At least this is what system says (it was preinstalled from Galaxy Store and on app page it says made by Samsung).

From UI side I see it like this (see screenshot). Google Assistant displays green V mark after it talked to "Clock" and said out loud "Your alarm was set". To me it looks like the issue is in the Samsung "Clock" app: instead of notifying back Google Assistant that the request it came with (to set the new alarm) wasn't fulfilled properly (similar to exit code <> 0 speaking of linux analogy) it reports back that everything went fine (exit code 0).

But I can only guess what happens under the hood based on my own software development experience.

Google assistant works perfectly fine with other apps and it can certainly detect and analyze their negative repsonses, when the requested action cannot be done. So I'm not sure if this bug is Google Assistant bug alone. To me it might be either "Clock" app bug or some tricky interface bug in conversation between Google Assistant and "Clock"

Screenshot_20200817-190106_Google.jpg

Highlighted
Nebula

Re: Re: Google assistant bug - alarms are not created, but Assistant answers t..

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I'm by no means a coder or app builder, however I could extract the assistant apk directly from my phone and instal it to almost any other android device and it will work. there fore it seems to me that Google makes assistant compatible with other companies devices not other companies making assistant compatible with there products. keep in mind its all google other that the skin manufacturers put over the top of it.
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Re: Google assistant bug - alarms are not created, but Assistant answers t..

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sure. That was only a guess that Samsung might be also responsible for fine tuning other Android components. None of us knows that for sure if they do that or not. But what I'm speaking here is not about "Assistant" solely. It's about how "Clock" app iterracts with it.