JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

How can I change images from HEIC to JPG to share photos?

(Topic created: 04-06-2019 07:33 PM)
mikecox39
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I couldn't figure out why I wasn't able to "share" photos from my phone, or access them in Ps or Lr, but I just discovered that the images are saved as a HEIC file. I've never heard for that format and neither has any of my apps, which appears to be the reason I can't share.

How do I change the image format to one that is generally recognized, like jpg?

Michael
10 Replies
H37pfulTechi3
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Go to camera settings and look for it

0 Likes
mikecox39
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I don't see any options for changing the image format.  Could you be more specific?

Michael
0 Likes
usernh8d80pxlF
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I've gone to my camera settings on my s8+ and see nothing in the settings to fix this problem.

H37pfulTechi3
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Try using a different camera app, like Open Camera from Google play or look online for Google's amazing pixel camera port. That is all I can think of right now

mikecox39
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I was checking "app settings", since then I opened the setting in the camera itself and found Save Options/HEIF pictures.  HEIF (not C) is a high-efficiency image format used to save space and warns that some "sharing sites might not support this format"

I also discovered that the camera supports jpg and RAW format.  I shoot RAW only with my Canon camera and was happy to find it's an option on the S10, as RAW is an uncompressed image that doesn't lose data and a much better format for editing in Lr and Ps.

Michael
0 Likes
Solution
H37pfulTechi3
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I found the SOLUTION:3

Look at this article

https://www.technologieshare.com/heres-how-to-make-galaxy-s10-camera-photos-take-less-storage-space

Apparently there is a way that it can convert to jpeg, samsung started using the format because it takes up less space. This article will tell you how to turn that option off.

Hope this helps 🙂

mikecox39
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thanks, I especially liked the last section where it explains how to convert the HEIC to jpg.  But I've turned HEIC off in favor of RAW and jpg, the best of both worlds.  I can move RAW files to Lr and Ps or simply share jpg's from my phone.

Michael
0 Likes
H37pfulTechi3
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I'm very glad to hear I could help 🙂

userxeD2pBvwzf
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

First of all, I want to emphasize that the new HEIF image format is way more powerful than the legacy JPEG, so you should avoid conversion for as long as possible. HEIF offers both, a superior image quality, and a smaller file size. JPEG was created in 1992 and HEIF was finalized in the summer of 2015. Those 23 years make a significant difference. The first major company to support the new format is Apple with its latest devices and Mac operating system. Neither Android nor Windows support it.

But now, there are many ways to convert HEIC to JPG format in the market. For example, UFUSoft HEIC to JPG Converter is a simple but powerful tool that allows you to convert Apple’s new iOS 12/11 photos from HEIC to JPG with ease.

0 Likes