cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

How do I separate contacts merged from two accounts?

Somehow my wife and I's phone contacts synced. She has 182 contacts and I have 3481 contact. She does not want my 3481 contacts on her phone.

I have turned off the syncing of our Gmail account with her phone but how do I remove all of my contacts without removing hers.

Thank you for the assistance.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Too many contacts

You need separate Gmail accounts instead of sharing a single account. Then make sure that her contacts are on her Gmail account and your contacts are on your Gmail account. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

We have two different gmail accounts.  Thanks for the response, so what now?

Samsung Care Ambassador

Make sure that her contacts are on her Gmail account and your contacts are on your Gmail account. And that your phone is only synced to your Gmail account and her phone is only synced to her Gmail account. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

I've turned off all sync on both phones.  

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Hey, 

@rdaughdril

I think I understand what happened when  you synced your account contacts and her account contacts to both phones.

Now that all the contacts from both accounts are stored in her Google account there is only one way I can think of to get only her contacts synced and saved to only her account.

Open the contacts app on her phone. Select the 3 horizontal bars at the top left side. 

On the menu that opens select manage contacts. On the menu that opens select move contacts. When the move contacts menu opens select move from her Google account. On the move to menu select her Samsung account. A list of all her contacts will open. Now she can select and move only her contacts to the Samsung account. You can also turn on sync contact's in Samsung cloud other synced data. Once all 182 of her contacts are safely stored and synced in her Samsung account you can go back to the main menu, select the Google account and delete every contact. Once her Google account syncs it will be empty.

Now following the same process move all of her 182 contacts from the Samsung account back to her Google account.

For testing you might try moving just one contact and verify that it is stored in your Samsung account. 

After it's all back to normal be sure and use manage contacts to export the 182 contacts to a file in internal storage. If everything goes crazy again all you have to do is delete all the contacts in her Google account and use import contacts, select the vcf file and her 182 contacts will be restored. 

Describing this makes it sound complicated but it's really easy to get it done. The only pain is selecting her 182 apps mixed in with your 3,481 contacts. 

Best regards, 

CLF 

Highlighted
Asteroid

Well, that is what i sort of did.

I made two different Labels and sorted all 3,481 contact to delete and her name, one by one.  Then I deleted all contacts that were not her's.  I made sure that only her gmail account is sync.

Thanks for the help.