Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userazGTjqEiaB
Constellation

I noticed a problem with the telephoto lens

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So I noticed earlier today that when I would switch to the telephoto lens on the back of the phone, it would just digitally zoom the main lens instead of actually switching to the telephoto lens. I could even physically cover up the telephoto lens and when switching to it in the software, I could still see through the viewfinder, as it was just digitally zooming the main lens. After chatting with Samsung for a bit I discovered that the telephoto lens only activates when shooting an object around at least 15 feet away. Otherwise it just digitally zooms the main lens. The problem with this is that the camera doesn't tell you that it's not using the telephoto lens. Even when you have it selected (the single leaf icon), the phone may still be using the main camera. This gives the impression that your phone is utilizing the zoom lens, when it really may not be. The only way to know for sure which lens is actually being used it by covering the lenses and seeing where the viewfinder gets blocked. Hopefully this can be fixed and be made more clear as to which lens is actually being used.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: I noticed a problem with the telephoto lens

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

15 REPLIES 15
userJWmq5SEJUz
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I did the same thing trying to understand how to use the telephoto lens instead of the digital zoom on the standard lens.  Samsung, please allow people to just manually select a camera and dispaly which camera/lens is being used in the camera app.

userJWmq5SEJUz
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsung! Please just allow users to manually select the camera within the application.  Having the telephoto lens "automatically" activate is frustrating.

userWzbSiok5g0
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I am having the exact same problem. Please let us select the camera we are using.
user6pUMdL3xUN
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

What's the point, it works just like a telephoto lens would even when it is using the wide lens 2x, the photo still reads shot at 6mm, instead of 4 like the wider lens use. I tried forcing the actual telephoto lens just today by shooting a subject that was at least 15 feet away, and it still reads shot at 6mm. 

userUbBiPV8rv8
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same issue here.  I know that Samsung designed it so that in "poor conditions" the telephoto will not kick on, and uses digital zoom instead, but I have stuck this phone under over 3000 lumens of light to try taking max zoom shots and my telephoto as well as my wife's aren't kicking over.  Cover them up and it is easy to tell it is using digital zoom.  This is stupid, macro shots require more light, not telephoto.  I already financed our phones  from ATT so I am not even sure what my option is here.  This is malarkey.  I did not agree to pay a thousand dollars for a Jack up piece of junk phone that doesn't even do what it is supposed to.  The ONLY reason I chose the plus over the s10e was the telephoto.  This me off to no avail!

user41GO0qHr5e
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I bought S10 especially for the Tele lens and when I bought a Moment phone case and an Anamorphic lens I noticed that the Tele lens is just a crop/digital zoom. this is ridiculous. if Samsung doesn't fix this I'm returning the phone for sure.

Algeden
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I bought Moment TeleLens (for 4x optical zoom) and have the same problem. Samsung please add a way to manual switching to telephoto camera.
Also I asked Moment developers to add this option in their camera app but they said: "Samsung does not allow open access to the Camera 2 API, which is what our developers require in order to build in that feature. Without access, we simply cannot bring manual lens switching to our app."

ZldvR
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same issue.. when is this gonna be fixed?

userF1t9HJLx2S
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That's not good... I noticed this problem too yesterday while trying to film some cars. It's needed to select which lens you want to use. I'm waiting for Samsung's answer and hoping to unlock the REAL telephoto lens for filmmaking. 
It's sad but it's true I congratulate iOS and Apple for letting you choose this simple option of using telephoto lens while recording...