JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Individual and Group Text Message Notification sound

(Topic created: 03-14-2019 07:42 AM)
Tiggerkee
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I don't understand why this feature was removed!!!!!! Now when I get a text I have no idea who it can be. Before we had the option to assign a notification to each contact and group. I had a separate notification for Family, Friends and Work, and now there is no option, it's all the same!!! Why can't you put that back!!!!
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey @Tiggerkee, it looks like I managed to help resolve your issue. Could you please mark my previous post as a "Solution" so that others with the same question can quickly find an answer?

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.
pauldamo
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

your joking,that's not a solution,you didn't resolve anything,because it breaks after each message thread cleanup.

Options
Galaxy S Phones

@pauldamo wrote:

your joking,that's not a solution,you didn't resolve anything,because it breaks after each message thread cleanup.

THANK YOU! I've been screaming about this for MONTHS! Everyone says you can add custom text tones. Sure you can. You tag the message thread. BUT THIS DOESN'T WORK IN GROUP TEXT MESSAGES!  It was present in Nougat and taken away in Oreo and continued into One UI. 

Sorry for jumping in here. I have a Note 9 and came across this thread. 

I get automated messages. From my pharmacy reminding me to fill my meds. I want a nice quiet tone so I know who it is and it doesn't disturb anyone. I know this message can wait. I get messages from my alarm company. I want a loud obnoxious tone when someone is breaking into my house. 75% of my messages are Group/team/family messages. I want to know who they are before I did my phone out. As has been mentioned, I can tag the thread but I have to save those messages. Even saving the messages from the computer at my pharmacy. Why?

I read a thread long ago where someone reported that this feature was removed due to a vote of the customers. I sure as heck didn't vote for it. No one asked me..  Why was it removed? Why wasn't it returned?  The software was already written.  Simply as it back to the contacts app. 

I love my Note 9. I love One UI.  This, as far as I'm concerned is the ONLY thing wrong with this OS. 

usertd1xrDm0L5
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I am a volunteer for an emergency service and we are notified by a SMS from any one of 53 numbers for assistance. Previously, the one contact had all numbers listed and that contact was allocated a very long, loud siren SMS tone which was guaranteed to wake anyone in the middle of the night.

I have just upgraded from a S5 phone to a S10e and find this capability is not available.

Who is going to explain to the Coroner for the delay in attending????

NOT  GOOOD  ENOUGH  SAMSUNG

userw8oV81XsAw
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

You didn't resolve the issue.

@Rydah wrote:

Hey @Tiggerkee, it looks like I managed to help resolve your issue. Could you please mark my previous post as a "Solution" so that others with the same question can quickly find an answer?

Jeffc73OC
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I think this feature may have been changed by Google in the core Android software but they won't listen either and put it back. Apple can do it so why not Android? especially when it use to be that way and they changed a feature that no one asked for. no one said let's delete that feature.
0 Likes
Tiggerkee
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

For some reason I am unable to reply to your Solution/Comment. YES it does work for individuals but it does not work for a Group, unless I individually select each person and send a group message. That is not what I wanted. In my contacts I have 200 contacts categorized as WORK, I want to have a separate text notification for them. ???

Tiggerkee
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thank you Rydah, For some reason I am unable to reply to your Solution/Comment. YES it does work for individuals but it does not work for a Group, unless I individually select each person and send a group message. That is not what I wanted. In my contacts I have 200 contacts categorized as WORK, I want to have a separate text notification for them. ???

SamsungRei
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S Phones

When you open your contacts, you should see the section where your groups are located. Select the group you want to change the notification for. There should be an option at the top to edit the group. When you select Edit, there is an option to change to notification sound.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
Tiggerkee
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

When I go to Contacts, Group and edit the only option is for the ringtone, not text.