JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Individual and Group Text Message Notification sound

(Topic created: 09-14-2019 04:03 PM)
Tiggerkee
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I don't understand why this feature was removed!!!!!! Now when I get a text I have no idea who it can be. Before we had the option to assign a notification to each contact and group. I had a separate notification for Family, Friends and Work, and now there is no option, it's all the same!!! Why can't you put that back!!!!
39 Replies
Solution
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey @Tiggerkee, sorry to hear that you're having a hard time with this feature. The custom notification sound does still exist, it just moved.

To enable custom message sounds for a conversation with an individual or group, simply follow these steps:

1. Open Messages app.

2. Open message thread that you want a new custom notification tone for.

3. On the upper right hand side of the screen, press the menu button and enable custom notifications.

4. Click on the Custom Notifications box.

5. Click "sound" and select your tone of choice. While here, you can select other options as well.

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.
Jeffc73OC
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S Phones

The only problem with this is that if you delete the message thread for that person, the custom notification goes away and you have to wait til they text you again, which will ring your default, and then you can setup the custom notification again. Sometimes it's nice to delete the thread to clean up the messages. This feature should be set to the contact like every other phone (Android and Apple) and not to the thread. Please fix/update this. Prior to Android 8.0 it was setup to contacts, so I don't know why Samsung got rid of it? Like they saying goes... If it ain't broke don't fix it. With so many users complaining that it went away, Samsung should have brought this feature back a long time ago .(Samsung... Listen to your customers and fix issues promptly)

pauldamo
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

so that's why i'm having this problem,i go to contacts and try and give a contact a custom tone for message recieved and i can't find the setting,i change it in the message thread and after deleting old messages i have to set it up all again,samsung please explain your obviously by design, mistake.

Romontes
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Agreed I am having this issue on my Note and is the reason I joined this support group. I have silent notifications for none contacts. I have one single contact with same notification and when the contact text in a group it makes no sound at all very annoying not to know when they text. I had tried to change it multiple times and still not do it. And you can see the notification sound assigned in the group and all. Fix it!!!!!!
useruwUaAcAWRS
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This is useless...I would have to keep an open conversation with every contact in order to have a custom notification for each contact. This feature needs to be restored. 

user7J92Lvc0qE
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I just traded in my S5 which DID have the feature for INDIVIDUAL sound notifications per contact when texting.  Imagine my dismay when I discovered my new S10 has no such capability.  So let me get this straight...you removed the capability to set a sound notification per individual contact and made it "conversation-based"?  Who thought of that one?  Why remove that capability from an app that worked just fine? Sorry, but IMO, the "solution" proposed here is a bad joke.  I get far more text messages than phone calls and regardless of the number of folks on the "conversation", I want to know WHO in my contact list is responding to the message thread.  This is "one small step backwards for Samsung and one giant leap backwards for your users".  Please fix this.  Thanks!

userX1jjLImsEg
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I want to go into a group and give that group a distinct message tone. I have one group of 600 people. How do I do this? I was able to on the S5. Why is it not on the s10e?

SamsungJoJo
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey @userX1jjLImsEg,

May I ask what type of messaging app are you using?

0 Likes
user0Kn4czpc5I
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
please add group notification feature back. This helps distinguish which group is texting and if it's important. I don't need the background for people because I'm the only one seeing this. That's not important! Group messaging notifications are...