cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kaizen
Cosmic Ray

Missing Notifications & Can't Install/Update Apps - Galaxy S10e

I'm gonna try and keep this as short as possible as I've already went into my issues in detail in a previous topic (see https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S10/Galaxy-S10e-Major-Notification-Issues-amp-App-Update-...) to which I thought I found a resolution but alas, i'm still having many issues. 

Notifications: 

Notifications from multiple apps are not pushing to android or are coming extremely delayed.  This is happening with all sorts of services, the most frustrating is my reminders through the google app (this happens with many others like instagram, twitter, snapchat, fb messenger, facebook, venmo, etc). A lot of times the missing notifications will all populate/push all at once randomly or they will come after a phone restart. After restarting the phone a bunch of the missing/delayed notifications will push finally and the notifications will push as soon as they are received as opposed to not coming at all or being delayed. But this typically only lasts for a few hours or a day before it starts to do the same thing again.

Another extremely frustrating issue with my notifications is repeating notifications even after they are swiped away/read. I've seen this happen with Outlook calendar events and twitter notifications. 

Issues with apps:

I can't update them nor install them in sort of timely manner. When I try to update (either manually or automatically) it gets stuck on a certain percentage while downloading (always the same percentage even after re-trying to download) and they will never get past it and thus get to the installation portion. This is true when trying to install new apps as well, if I leave it be and let it sit there, SOMETIMES it will successfully get past it and install but this is usually hours after the initial attempt. 

Things I've tried:

- Turned off battery optimzation for apps I need notifications for right away

- Clearing cache/force closing of affected apps, including play store.

- Multiple phone restarts

- Trying to update apps in safe mode (this does not work unfortunately)

- Deleting Google account(s), restarting phone, re-loading (this was only a temporary fix for the apps)

- 3 Factory Resets 

- Clearing the cache partition multiple times (I just recently factory reset again and before I did I cleared the cache partion again)

Factory resets will get the phone to work properly for apps and notifications but only for a day or so before it inevitably has all the same issues. 

- My Model # for my Galaxy S10e: SM-G970U

Hoping someone has a resolution for me as this has been an extremely frustrating last few months dealing with these issues, especially from a brand new phone.

@SamsungLarry @SamsungAl @SamsungLou @SamsungAdam @SamsungGill @SamsungQue 

Apologies for the tag but I'm hoping I can get a resolution before I'm forced to do a warranty replacement and likely be without a phone. 

8 REPLIES 8
Black Hole

Re: Missing Notifications & Can't Install/Update Apps - Galaxy S10e

@Kaizen wrote:

I'm gonna try and keep this as short as possible as I've already went into my issues in detail in a previous topic (see https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S10/Galaxy-S10e-Major-Notification-Issues-amp-App-Update-...) to which I thought I found a resolution but alas, i'm still having many issues. 

Notifications: 

Notifications from multiple apps are not pushing to android or are coming extremely delayed.  This is happening with all sorts of services, the most frustrating is my reminders through the google app (this happens with many others like instagram, twitter, snapchat, fb messenger, facebook, venmo, etc). A lot of times the missing notifications will all populate/push all at once randomly or they will come after a phone restart. After restarting the phone a bunch of the missing/delayed notifcations will push finally and the notifications will push as soon as they are received as opposed to not coming at all or being delayed. But this typically only lasts for a few hours or a day before it starts to do the same thing again.

Another extremely frustrating issue with my notifications is repeating notifcations even after they are swiped away/read. I've seen this happen with Outlook calendar events and twitter notifcations. 

Issues with apps:

I can't update them nor install them in sort of timely manner. When I try to update (either manually or automatically) it gets stuck on a certain percentage while downloading (always the same percentage even after re-trying to download) and they will never get past it and thus get to the installation portion. This is true when trying to install new apps as well, if I leave it be and let it sit there, SOMETIMES it will succesfully get past it and install but this is usually hours after the initial attempt. 

Things I've tried:

- Clearching cache/force closing of affected apps, including play store.

- Deleting Google account(s), restarting phone, re-loading (this was only a temporary fix for the apps)

- 3 Factory Resets 

- Clearing the cache partition multiple times (I just recently factory reset again and before I did I cleared the cache partion again)

Factory resets will get the phone to work properly for apps and notifications but only for a day or so before it inevitably has all the same issues. 

Hoping someone has a resolution for me as this has been an extremely frustrating last few months dealing with these issues, especially from a brand new phone.

Apologies for the tag but I'm hoping I can get a resolution before I'm forced to do a warranty replacement and likely be without a phone. 

Few questions:

1) When you did factory reset, did you restore from backup after that?

2) After the reset, did you try to install each app, one by one each day to see which app might couse an issue with notifications.

3) Is your phone mostly on WiFi or on mobile data? - If on wifi, turn it off for a day or two, when you are no using the phone(evening/night), so it would be on mobile data and vice versa

4) Anything that is "power saving" can delay notifications. Check your battery's power saving features and/or any apps that have the ability to alter battery usage

5) Your device is probably up to date with latest software?

Kaizen
Cosmic Ray

@Charkatak wrote:

@Kaizen wrote:

Notifications: 

Notifications from multiple apps are not pushing to android or are coming extremely delayed.  This is happening with all sorts of services, the most frustrating is my reminders through the google app (this happens with many others like instagram, twitter, snapchat, fb messenger, facebook, venmo, etc). A lot of times the missing notifications will all populate/push all at once randomly or they will come after a phone restart. After restarting the phone a bunch of the missing/delayed notifcations will push finally and the notifications will push as soon as they are received as opposed to not coming at all or being delayed. But this typically only lasts for a few hours or a day before it starts to do the same thing again.

Another extremely frustrating issue with my notifications is repeating notifcations even after they are swiped away/read. I've seen this happen with Outlook calendar events and twitter notifcations. 

Issues with apps:

I can't update them nor install them in sort of timely manner. When I try to update (either manually or automatically) it gets stuck on a certain percentage while downloading (always the same percentage even after re-trying to download) and they will never get past it and thus get to the installation portion. This is true when trying to install new apps as well, if I leave it be and let it sit there, SOMETIMES it will succesfully get past it and install but this is usually hours after the initial attempt. 

Things I've tried:

- 3 Factory Resets 

Few questions:

2) After the reset, did you try to install each app, one by one each day to see which app might couse an issue with notifications.

3) Is your phone mostly on WiFi or on mobile data? - If on wifi, turn it off for a day or two, when you are no using the phone(evening/night), so it would be on mobile data and vice versa

4) Anything that is "power saving" can delay notifications. Check your battery's power saving features and/or any apps that have the ability to alter battery usage

I did restore from a backup but only from Samsung cloud. At first I did everything EXCEPT the apps and homescreen layout, and then when everything was seemingly working I restored the apps as well. I'm pretty positive  it's not an app causing the issues as the issue is present in safe mode as well.   

My phone is pretty much always on Wifi aside from when i'm away from home or work. Not sure how turning off Wifi would help as I haven't altered any DNS settings or anything like that on the wifi.

I have every battery saving/optimzing feature set to off and I have no apps that have the ability to alter battery usage.

And yes, I am completely up to date on software. I check fairly frequently in hopes that an update fixes all my issues as I'm fairly certain it's a software related problem. 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Thank you.

I would be happy to look into your concerns. 

Can you please send me a private message with the below information here at this link: http://bit.ly/2GH8URL

Model code:
(15)Digit IMEI Number:

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Black Hole

@Kaizen wrote:

@Charkatak wrote:

@Kaizen wrote:

Notifications: 

Issues with apps:

Things I've tried:

- 3 Factory Resets 

Few questions:

I did restore from a backup but only from Samsung cloud. At first I did everything EXCEPT the apps and homescreen layout, and then when everything was seemingly working I restored the apps as well. I'm pretty positive  it's not an app causing the issues as the issue is present in safe mode as well.   

My phone is pretty much always on Wifi aside from when i'm away from home or work. Not sure how turning off Wifi would help as I haven't altered any DNS settings or anything like that on the wifi.

I have every battery saving/optimzing feature set to off and I have no apps that have the ability to alter battery usage.

And yes, I am completely up to date on software. I check fairly frequently in hopes that an update fixes all my issues as I'm fairly certain it's a software related problem. 

It is software related, but when we restore from any backup, setting also get restored.  There could be a glitch with some software, settings and/or app combination.  For example not all S10 devices have your issue.  I personally had S10e before I traided it in for Note10 and didn't experience app notification issues, except Gmail, but I turned off battery optimization there and it works much better. 

The reason I mentioned turning off wifi is bacause at times, when phone is on wifi, mobile data may not be available as phone relies on wifi for data. For example mms message couldn't be downloaded when device is on wifi, as data isn't working(I have seen it before on some devices).

So when we troubleshoot stuff, we start from scratch and change settings, apps one by one, each day or so.  I know this isn't your problem to fix and as a customer, you don't really need to do tester's job.  It might be a pain to start from scratch and I can understand.

If/when Samsung releases an update, your issue may auto resolve... Smiley Happy  By the way, did you start having notification issue from the start, or recently?

Kaizen
Cosmic Ray

@Charkatak 

Gotcha, I'm never really in an area where there isn't mobile data available as I live and work in a major city so that shouldn't be any issue.

I understand the settings are transferred back via the backup but I went through all of them and there was nothing I saw that would be causing my problems

The issue started a few months ago, device worked flawlessly prior to that so I can only presume that it was caused by a software update as I always install them as soon they come through. 

As a side note, I had the same exact issues with the notifications and app updates on my previous device, a Galaxy note 9, before I switched to the S10e. 

Black Hole

@Kaizen wrote:

@Charkatak 

Gotcha, I'm never really in an area where there isn't mobile data available as I live and work in a major city so that shouldn't be any issue.

I understand the settings are transferred back via the backup but I went through all of them and there was nothing I saw that would be causing my problems

The issue started a few months ago, device worked flawlessly prior to that so I can only presume that it was caused by a software update as I always install them as soon they come through. 

As a side note, I had the same exact issues with the notifications and app updates on my previous device, a Galaxy note 9, before I switched to the S10e. 

1) When you bought S10, did you transfer data from your Note9 to the new phone?

2) Before I forget, sometimes I have seen google app do some strange things, check it out or remove it for a day or two

Kaizen
Cosmic Ray

@Charkatak 

I did transfer my data from the note 9 to the new phone, however the issues with my new phone didn't start till months after so I'm not entirely convinced that could be part of the cause. 

Clearing the cache/data and re-installing the google app would do the same as removing it for a few days, no?

Black Hole

@Kaizen wrote:

@Charkatak 

I did transfer my data from the note 9 to the new phone, however the issues with my new phone didn't start till months after so I'm not entirely convinced that could be part of the cause. 

Clearing the cache/data and re-installing the google app would do the same as removing it for a few days, no?

May or may not. When you remove and reinstall apps, the data can be put back from your back up.  There is a settings in your accounts and backup which is called Automatic restore - check it out.