Original topic:

NFC failure

(Topic created: 05-30-2019 02:25 PM)
userOqppI1neLQ
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

My wife and I have new S10e phones.  Her old S5 wouldn’t communicate with our Canon printer via NFC, but we heard it was a poor antenna design.  When I tried our new phones I can get hers to connect and print great via NFC, but not mine.  Hers connects and the phone and printer work as designed to quickly print photos.  Mine connects and the printer and phone go through the same results with the same onscreen statements throughout just like my wife’s phone, except mine kicks out blank photo paper every time, and says the printing is complete!

I’ve reinstalled the Canon Selphy App with no change.  I consulted with Canon, but they say the issue must be with my phone.  Is there some “advanced” phone setting that’s incorrect?

6 Replies
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey @userOqppI1neLQ, I hope you are doing well.

I don't have experience in this specific situation but I'm hoping I could still help you troubleshoot.

Can you provide me with both of you and your wife's:

• Carrier

• Current baseband version (can be found in Settings>About phone>Software information)

I'd recommend trying a cache wipe. Instructions on this can be found here.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.
userOqppI1neLQ
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Carrier is Verizon Wireless.

Baseband version is G970USQS1ASD9

I tried the cache wipe, but right off the bat with instruction #2 the phone doesn’t respond to the instructions.  I hold down all 3 keys - volume up, Bixby key, and Power - and the screen stays black... no Android logo comes up.

Oops.  Okay, I had only pressed the Power button to turn the phone off, and duh, that isn’t actually powered off like instruction #1 asked me to do.  When I actually held the Power button and then chose the “Power Off” touchbutton onscreen, then following instruction #2 did bring up the logo and I succeeded in wiping the cache.

Will let you know if that fixed the NFC print issue is resolved when I get the chance.

0 Likes
userOqppI1neLQ
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Nope, the cache wipe didn’t resolve it.  Everything works just like my wife’s, from NFC scan, to instructions on the phone to move it away from the printer, and the confirmation that the photo is printing, up until the photo paper begins moving through.  Hers actually prints, and on mine the printer just quickly ejects a blank 4X6 sheet.

Maybe I should compare the advanced settings of the two phones... something must be switched differently on one than the other?

0 Likes
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Have you tried clearing the cache of the Canon Selphy app?
0 Likes
userOqppI1neLQ
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I don’t know how to clear an app’s cache.  Wouldn’t wiping the phone’s cache do that?  I originally did reinstall the Canon Inkjet/Selphy app, but that didn’t help.

I still think it may be a specific phone setting, as once when I was fishing around I noticed a bunch of phone settings, each particular to some on/off configuration, that I had no familiarity with or confident understanding of, and except for this situation wouldn’t risk messing with.  I’m just not sure how to find them again to check against the same settings on my wife’s phone that actually works okay.

0 Likes
Solution
userOqppI1neLQ
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

The issue apparently comes down to the stoutness of my phone's aftermarket case.  My wife's S10e has the case supplied courtesy of Costco and their phone kiosk company.  It is considerably thinner than the one I bought at Amazon.  I figured that perhaps the data transfer stream from the phone to the printer was a different animal than the basic communication between them.  Everything communicated fine except with the case on the phone all I got out of the printer was blank photo sheets.  Sure enough, with the case removed I got completed prints just as easily as we did using my wife's phone.

So mystery solved I guess.  If your NFC isn't working right, try removing the phone's case, especially if it's a thick heavy duty one that the data can't penetrate.