cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Asteroid

Navigation buttons (using swipe gesture) do not work in full screen mode

When playing a full screen game, my navigation buttons do not show. Some time ago, I switched to the swipe gesture so I could use the swipe up on the back button to hit the back button in my full screen game. That worked great! I could swipe up from the bottom right of the screen, and the back button would register in my game, taking me back to the screen before. Perfect! 

Since about a year ago, and immediately after an android update, I now have to swipe up to first reveal the status bar, and then have to swipe up again to hit the back button. If I want to hit the back button in the game, I now have to swipe up twice. 

I've been living with this, and have tried many Google and Android forum searches with no luck. They usually reveal some answer about how to deal with the navigation buttons programmatically, which is not what I want. I want to find out how I can re enable the swipe gesture to work when in full screen mode without having to first swipe up to reveal the status bar.

Has anyone experienced this, or does anyone have any ideas?

Things I've tried: 
1. Go back to regular navigation buttons. When in full screen mode, these still don't show and I have to swipe up to reveal the status bar and the navigation buttons.
2. Many Google searches to re enable the feature that used to work
3. Searched through the settings to see if there was one for this issue. Tried a few of them, but they did not alter this behavior. 

Thanks! 
Steven
5 REPLIES 5
Cosmic Ray

Re: Navigation buttons (using swipe gesture) do not work in full screen mode

Full screen games are designed like this you can't do anything about that as far as I know. The hide the status and navigation overlays so you don't accidentally hit them....well, most of them do at least
Asteroid

Re: Re: Navigation buttons (using swipe gesture) do not work in full screen mode

Yes, understood and agreed. the thing that is weird is that it used to work that way. it was an android update that changed it, not a game update on that particular app.
Cosmic Ray

Re: Re: Re: Navigation buttons (using swipe gesture) do not work in full scree..

Yeah so back in the glory days of One UI 1 (Android 9), Google didn't care about how apps used the screen so most apps and games ran small aspect ratios. Samsung had large phones though so they accommodated by giving you the ability to full-screen an app etc which included being able to "lock" the status/navbars. With Android 10, Google started recommending that apps be "edge to edge" whenever possible and to use the status/navigation overlays accordingly. This kinda rendered Samsung's method useless so Samsung has low-key been phasing this out (or so it seems). Because of this, you now have apps and games that take up the full-screen but incorporate status/navigation bars like Samsung Members or have weird colored status/nav bars like Snapchat or they just don't have either of those like full-screen games
Asteroid

Re: Re: Re: Re: Navigation buttons (using swipe gesture) do not work in full s..

Ahhh, ok, that makes sense. Thank you! it's a real shame that they don't allow that, although to be honest it just means that I have to swipe up twice to hit the back button, which although annoying, I am now used to...
Cosmic Ray

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Navigation buttons (using swipe gesture) do not work in fu..

Yeah of course! You could try "Navstar" through the Good Lock app (Good Lock available through Galaxy Store). It used to have a setting that let you pin the navbar but I'm not sure if they still do. I've switched to full-screen gestures so with most full-screen games, I just swipe up once and it takes me to home. If "Navstar" doesn't work, you could give gestures a shot as well. In my opinion, they tend to be a better experience overall.