JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

No voicemail notifications icons on my Galaxy S10

(Topic created: 05-16-2020 03:09 PM)
SoniaDadaFan
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I am not getting a voicemail notification icon showing up on my Galaxy S10 status bar when I have a voicemail. I have gone to settings>notifications>phone. When I get there, show notifications is on, but greyed out (so I couldn't turn it off if I wanted to). The missed call and voicemails settings are on, but also greyed out. When I click on each of these, I have them defaulted to all alert settings (alert, show as a pop-up, sound, vibrate, app icon badges, and show content on lock screen). When I call my phone from another number, I get the missed call pop-up and status bar icon, but no voicemail icon status bar icon. I shouldn't have to keep accessing my phone app and holding down the 1 key to double check if I am missing voicemail messages. I see that others have had similar issues, but the answers to their questions don't quite fit my situation (or else they didn't describe the greyed out situation I have) Why hasn't this been fixed yet Samsung?

15 Replies
useroy5VfdCGYo
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I m having the same issue since january with my Samsung s10 same exact settings as you. Would like to hear some type of response from samsung.

userOgYGRWg4n8
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I had the same issue but on my Note 10+. Turns out voicemail app is a carrier (verizon) app and I had to open the app and set up my voice mail to get notifications

useryWcJDNhmoP
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Screenshot_20200318-140625_Settings.jpg

I've tried everyway I can think of to get the Visual Voicemail from Xfinity to work.  With Verizon, I used to get voicemails through the green phone app.  Eitherway, I can't figure this out. Why is notifications greyed out?

Solution
fryerlawrence
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I know this is slightly an old thread, but here is a "possible" solution 🙂

I am not sure exactly "how" it happens except it is just like internet service and the phone itself, you have to restart it/power cycle it (by unplugging the power cord for 3 minutes) etc.  For the lift of me I never knew why I wasn't geting the voicemail icon badge to display new voicemails.   I don't get that many calls.  However, when I was expecting an extremely important call and knew that they left a message, I didn't get the notification(s) and I was getting ready to switch service to another carrier because this problem cropped up for the 3rd time.

Prefacing this, I did some research on the subject and found that the Samsung Galaxy s10e doesn't have the option for App Icon Badges. I noticed this when I looked under this thread on Samsung for the s10. The app icon badges setting is there for the s10 but NOT the s10e.  I was not getting the little icon that looks like a reel to reel tape recorder after someone would leave a message. I don't get many calls and this is the reason this problem was happening for months on end! UGH!

Going forward, I EXTENSIVELY troubleshot this problem with Spectrum Mobile and even resorted to fully resetting the Voice Mail Server for my number on their end, including Deactivating/Reactivating the mobile service entirely Word of Caution: That will delete all of your voice mails on the server if you have any!  Fully knowing that App Icon Badges Settings are not an option for this phone and Deactivating/Reactivating the phone service was the last shot so-to-speak, the agent that I was speaking with tried on other last thing and I did a facepalm after we did this step, and even the previous customer service agent & guru supervisor missed this one:

1. Go to Apps under Settings Make sure All is selected at the top.
2. Scroll down to the Phone app goto Storage and select Clear data That should also clear the cache at the same time and should be grayed out.
3. Back out to where you are in your Apps list again (pressing the back button two times should take you there if you mess up, go to Step 1 again) and choose the Voice Mail app that looks like a little tape recorder reel.  Choose Storage and then choose Clear data that should also clear the cache at the same time as well and should be grayed out after clearing the cache.

This "should" work. After I cleared the cache for both the Voice Mail and Phone app it fired right up and now I see the little Voice Mail cassette tape icon after someone leaves a message after the customer service agent did a quick Voice Mail test call!

Hope this works for someone. 🙂

SoniaDadaFan
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi Constellation!

Thanks for replying-I appreciate it!

I have a Galaxy S10, not the S 10e. I did follow the directions up until the clear data instruction because I got this warning: "All of this application's data will be deleted permanently. This includes all files, settings, accounts, databases, etc."

That sounded like a REALLY bad idea, so I just opted to clear the cache, which I could do separately.

Unfortunately, I don't actually have a Voicemail app listed in my Apps listing, so I guess that is something specific to my carrier or something....

I do however get notified of a missed call, so when that happens I have just gotten into the habit of going to my phone's keypad and holding down the number 1 button, which is also the voicemail access (the little tape recorder reel is underneath the number) to see if a message has been left. 

Thanks again for trying to help solve this issue! 🙂

useriNtMIrICbE
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey @fryerlawrence...thanks for posting this.  I also have an s10e and use xfinity mobile. I just realized I was not getting voicemail notifications and haven't since December.  I had many important messages I had missed and am not happy with Samsung at all because of it.

I tried your fix and it didn't work for me, but I was wondering what you meant by making sure "all" is selected in step 1 of your instructions.  I go to settings>apps and "all" does not appear.  So I don't have an option to make sure it is checked.  Can you tell me where it shows this for you? 

I tried the rest of your steps but it didn't fix the problem for me, so I was wanting to verify what the "all" thing was about.

Even though this hasn't worked for me, I appreciate your post.

Thanks!

0 Likes
fryerlawrence
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@useriNtMIrICbE wrote:

Hey @fryerlawrence...thanks for posting this.  I also have an s10e and use xfinity mobile. I just realized I was not getting voicemail notifications and haven't since December.  I had many important messages I had missed and am not happy with Samsung at all because of it.

I tried your fix and it didn't work for me, but I was wondering what you meant by making sure "all" is selected in step 1 of your instructions.  I go to settings>apps and "all" does not appear.  So I don't have an option to make sure it is checked.  Can you tell me where it shows this for you? 

I tried the rest of your steps but it didn't fix the problem for me, so I was wanting to verify what the "all" thing was about.

Even though this hasn't worked for me, I appreciate your post.

Thanks!

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.  By meaning "All", I meant make sure All "Apps" are selected so you can see the correct App that you are looking for.  In this case PhoneVoice Mail (probably didn't explain it well...lol) I posted a screenshot here:

Screenshot_20200514-153007_Settings.jpg

Hope this helps!

-fryer

0 Likes
jcgc50
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Having the same issue with S10E.

I noted that there is no VM app on the phone. I'm with Ting but on the Sprint network. I downloaded the Sprint Visual VM app and now get the VM notification. 

usernNP2XywtCA
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thank you so much. I did exactly what you said and it's working fine now. Thanks again..Smiley Happy