cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Homescreen password entry is not working after system update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userwd0ELti519 - was your screen lock type Password only or did you also configure your S10 to unlock with fingerprints (or a PIN, etc.) as well as a password?

Curious if others using Passwords who have also enabled other lockscreen types encountered this issue or were able to get past the lock screens without problems after updating. Understandably the first time you unlock the device after a reboot usually falls back to the screen lock type (not the fingerprint, which is really secondary). Wondering if PIN lock types are experiencing the same issue as well?

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response helped resolve your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button. Thanks!

userwd0ELti519
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi there....

My husband's phone which is the one with issues after the update has password locked type only on its homescreen. However, mine with same model and updated on the same day as his is working fine - I have not set any password/fingerprint/pattern protection of my phone since we only got our phones (same time) over a month ago which is why I able to navigate in my phone after it updated. The updates procedure between my phone and my husband's phone were the same. So, I am not sure if fingerprints or pattern type lock will work.

userA0n1G2EHPv
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have this problem since system update 07/09/2019. Pin / password initially worked. Hours later, entering it kicks me back to lock screen. I tested it by purposely entering incorrect PW. That got a clear error message. The correct one just kicks me back to the lock screen. The other oddity is I never set PW up on this phone so am assuming it defaulted to my Verizon pin/ PW after the update.  Hiw can this be fixed? I'm pretty freaked out, paid a lot for this phone which is a first for me. And on a fixed income.  Thanks for any help.

userTOaZ2FaQ0G
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm in the same boat; I am really angry. Samsung CS said to go to an "Ubreak IFix" store and have them unlock it (factory reset).  There's only one store in the Seattle area; I'm going to have to pay for ferry fare, then pay for parking when I finally get to work, plus the guy at the store told me that Samsung told them that they were supposed to charge a $49.00 fee to anyone who came in for this problem.  This is going to cost me $120.00. Oh, and the fix it store isn't sure that they'll be able to do the factory reset.

userTOaZ2FaQ0G
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had a system update today on my S10; I did not set my phone up with a password.  The system is requesting a password to unlock the phone, which I don't have.  Customer Service told me that I might be able to go to Best Buy and have their technician do a "software reflash"?  Has anyone heard of this?   It's either that or a factory reset.

userSsU0yPwtTD
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am so upset about this Samsung update. I got the notice to update last night 7/8/19, I updated this morning. Now my phone is locked and my pin will not unlock it. I've talked to multiple people at Samsung and Verizon and my only option is to do a factory reset resulting in wiping out everything on my phone. This is a known issue and yet Samsung still sends out the update. Why? How is this acceptable?

I'm also having this issue. I was able to unlock my phone...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm also having this issue. I was able to unlock my phone, but only after several tries of entering the correct passcode. Other than this issue, the update is fantastic

userAr17V87ZCZ
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Solution!

I was in the same predicament: after software update on my S10+, my PIN would not unlock the lock screen.  I had tried so many times that I got a warning that if I did not input the correct PIN in the next 5 attempts, a factory reset would occur.   My biggest fear was losing all of my precious photos of my family, which I had stupidly not backed up (nor activated the Samsung Find My Mobile function).

THIS IS WHAT WORKED FOR ME:

I rebooted the phone in SAFE MODE: Hold both the power button and volume down keys until the phone reboots (you will see the Samsung logo); Release power button, continue to hold volume down until the lock screen shows up and SAFE MODE is displayed in the lower left corner.  My PIN then worked and my phone unlocked!!!!  Now I'm backing up all my photos/videos (and going to register the phone for the Samsung Find My Mobile remote unlock function, I hear that would have worked too).

Hope this works for you guys too.

Password screen since new update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I received an update on my S10.  A password screen showed up after the update.  I have entered the password, hit done, a black screen shows up and then the password screen is back.  I have tried safe mode... everything I can think of.  Any suggestions?  I have not had a phone for over 2 days now.   

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Password screen since new update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you tried wiping the cache partition on your device?