Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
usernWHGSYIvCx
Asteroid

S10 Fingerprint scanner security hack

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I sadly found out yesterday that there is an easy hack to the S10 fingerprint reader.  The fingerprint security is really the only reason I purchased this phone.  Is Samsung going to come out with a quick fix for this issue?  As I understand, a $4 case that can be purchased online easily defeats the security of this phone.  If it can't be fixed, I would like to return it in order to get a phone that can be secured.

Thanks

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: S10 Fingerprint scanner security hack

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The way I understand it, it's only an issue when a fingerprint is registered with the cheap screen protector on. What happens there is phone actually registering the texture of the screen protector itself and not the finger. It's a silly hack that will only work if people deliberately register a finger after they install the plastic, no one can just put into onto your screen and unlock it. In any case, yes, Samsung said they will be releasing a fix very soon anyway.

If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. And give it a Like. Thanks

Geno71-Ambassador-Signature2-1

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@usernWHGSYIvCx wrote:

I sadly found out yesterday that there is an easy hack to the S10 fingerprint reader.  The fingerprint security is really the only reason I purchased this phone.  Is Samsung going to come out with a quick fix for this issue?  As I understand, a $4 case that can be purchased online easily defeats the security of this phone.  If it can't be fixed, I would like to return it in order to get a phone that can be secured.

Thanks

@usernWHGSYIvCx 

I have read online that some of the screen protectors may leave air gap and could pose an issue with finger prints.  Samsung knows that and is working on update

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-samsung-elec-smartphone/samsung-to-patch-galaxy-s10-fingerprint-p...

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The way I understand it, it's only an issue when a fingerprint is registered with the cheap screen protector on. What happens there is phone actually registering the texture of the screen protector itself and not the finger. It's a silly hack that will only work if people deliberately register a finger after they install the plastic, no one can just put into onto your screen and unlock it. In any case, yes, Samsung said they will be releasing a fix very soon anyway.

If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. And give it a Like. Thanks

Geno71-Ambassador-Signature2-1

View solution in original post

usernWHGSYIvCx
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I hope it is the case that it only occurs if the fingerprint is registered with the cheap screen protector in place.  I am hoping the official fix come out soon and puts this issue to rest.

userDYxhHC2pZy
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I thought the same (that only fingers registered with the cheap screen protector was the issue)...until I saw this terrifying article along with a YouTube video showing that it doesn't matter how the fingers were registered, the hack will still work. I.e, any stranger that finds your phone can unlock it. At least with the other hacks, they would need to have a photo of you or something with your fingerprint on it. But, this type of bug (if it is as the video shows) has left my confidence in Samsung security seriously shaken. Maybe easier said than done, but it seems that any 'malfunction' of the sensor should equal "no access", not "access granted". Otherwise, I worry that a fix for this particular malfunction may still leave the door open for other malfunctions to grant access. I love my Samsung S10+ (and the S9+ before that and the S8 before that), so I'm really hoping that this video is somehow inaccurate and that Samsung can regain my confidence.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s10_note_10_fingerprint_issue_might_be_more_serious_than_it_...