cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nickthaskater
Asteroid

S10 Plus Fingerprint Sensor not Responding

UPDATE: So, I've narrowed it down to a bug with Developer Options being enabled. Upon disabling Developer Options and rebooting, the fingerprint option in biometrics reappeared and all of my previously stored fingerprints were still intact. 

I'm not sure what Developer Options has to do with the fingerprint sensor, but it's definitely related to this issue. How Developer Options is apparently "killing" the sensor by cutting the voltage to it, rendering it unresponsive, I have no idea. Samsung: the ball is in your court now to debug and figure out what's going on!

==========

I feel like this may be related to updates I installed, so I'm curious if anyone else is going through this, too.

• S10 Plus 128GB SM-G975W (with Fido in Canada).
  • Build: G975WVLS1ASD9

This is my second Plus in two weeks, first exchanged for the same problem. That device was also fully updated.

Literally the same "failures" as my last Plus.

I have auto restart turned on so the phone restarts itself twice a week overnight while laying at my bedside. It worked fine when I went to bed, but when I woke up and unlocked it after it had restarted, the in display scanner no longer worked.

Surely the hardware hasn't simply spontaneously failed yet again, and it is just one of the recent updates that broke it... Thoughts/experiences?

12 REPLIES 12
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: S10 Plus Fingerprint Sensor not Responding

Have you tried wiping the cache partition of your device?

1.    Turn off the device.
2.    Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
3.    When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
4.    An ‘Installing system update’ message will show for 30 – 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
5.    Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
6.    Press Power key to select.
7.    Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
8.    When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
9.    Press the Power key to restart the device.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

nickthaskater
Asteroid

Yes, I have tried wiping the cache. It made no difference, unfortunately. 

On my first Plus that had this issue, I did a factory reset. That "fixed" the issue for a day or so, but then the "failure" returned. 

It seems unlikely that it's an actual hardware failure if the factory reset helped even for a little bit before the problem returned. Very frustrating! 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Have you tried backing up your device and factory reset the device to see if the symptoms persist?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

nickthaskater
Asteroid

As mentioned in my previous reply, on my first Plus that had this issue, I did a factory reset. That "fixed" the issue for a day or so, but then the "failure" returned. I don't see why it'd be any different on this device given the diagnostics menu reported the same hardware level failures (confirmed by Samsung Tutor support tech, too).

Forgive me, but I'd rather not have to go through a factory reset on this second device only to have it fail again just like the first. I'd rather wait until I get a replacement and can just wipe it and start fresh (again) on the new (third) Plus.

nickthaskater
Asteroid

UPDATE: So, I've narrowed it down to a bug with Developer Options being enabled. Upon disabling Developer Options and rebooting, the fingerprint option in biometrics reappeared and all of my previously stored fingerprints were still intact. 

I'm not sure what Developer Options has to do with the fingerprint sensor, but it's definitely related to this issue. How Developer Options is apparently "killing" the sensor by cutting the voltage to it, rendering it unresponsive, I have no idea. Samsung: the ball is in your court now to debug and figure out what's going on!

nickthaskater
Asteroid

Hi @SamsungZell - Samsung support confirmed that enabling Developer Options on this device will deactivate the fingerprint sensor - see attached transcript - but could not provide a reason why.

I've reported this on Reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/galaxys10/comments/c1t5lx/psa_samsung_developer_options_disables_the/ -  and numerous other users with different variants (US and International versions) do not experience the same issue - it seems limited to the Canadian G975W (and maybe similar versions). 

I reported this as a bug via the Samsung Members app, but I see no indication that this was received or acknowledged. 

Are you able to push this forward as a bug that needs to be squashed in a future update? Enabling Developer Options should not disable the fingerprint sensor. Period.

UCK9bEK.png

userkvgvqTP0XF
Asteroid

The Developers option is not a problem, I don't think. Because I been having this stupid problem for over a month. I did everything, reboot the phone, clear cache, and then I finally factory reset the phone. It was working for a couple of days and now the fingerprint scanner stopped responding. This is so frustrating and now even more since I factory reset the phone.  I wish samsung was like apple in this way, when there is a problem I feel like apple responds right away and fixes it with a quick update, I haven't had a iphone since the iphone 4 came out, been using samsung ever since (s3,s4,s5, s8, and s10+). 

Maker_Bayfield
Asteroid

This is the THIRD time I am posting this. It keeps getting removed! WHY???

What? Samsung doesn't want to hear complaints about their products, so they remove posts?

I will try to summarize what I said before...

I am having this same issue with my S10.  It says fingerprint sensor is not responding.

I contacted Samsung and chatted with a pro.

They had me wipe my cache and the phone worked briefly.

Stopped working again, so I contact them again.  They sent me to a Samsung authorize repair shop.  They said they downloaded new software and it worked...briefly again.

So I contacted Samsung a 3rd time and they want me to send my phone in to them???

They won't send me a loaner or replacement phone.  I am not going to go without a phone for 2 weeks!!!

I just tried disabling Developer Options, hoping that was finally the solution but unfortunately it is not!

I, unlike others on here, think it is a hardware issue.  My spouse has the same phone and has no issues!  If it was software, wouldn’t every S10 have this issue?

I have had an S3, S5, S7, S8, S9 and now S10.  This is by far the worst phone I have had of all of these.

Their best phone in my opinion was the S9 and I so wish I had mine back!

I even went to my phone store yesterday and I can’t get out of my lease, even if I “downgraded” to an S9… I am stuck with this lemon until April…

So where do I go from here? 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

The Samsung limited warranty is a repair warranty that covers the unit for parts and labor in the event repairs are needed within the first year of ownership. All repair options must be exhausted before Samsung will consider other options. Regretfully, we are unable to provide loaner devices. You are welcome to speak with your Carrier/Retailer to see if they have something more they can offer. However, if you would like for us to set up the repair we can.