cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

S10+ Reading Music Metadata Incorrectly

So I recently upgraded from an S7 edge to an S10+, and it seems that the S10+ running the latest stable Google Play version of Samsung music displays a large portion of my libraries metadata on my SD card incorrectly , ranging from missing most metadata, compressed album art, showing tracks as if they were marked as a compilation, missing release year, to missing genres, whereas my S7e running SM version 16.2.15.8 (the version prior to the big One UI update,) displays just fine. It seems that it's a problem with the S10 itself as other players give me the same issue. The majority of the affected files are mp3 320 purchased from Bandcamp, some are mp4 files purchased from iTunes. Not all of my music is affected. I use iTunes to edit all my musics metadata.
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: S10+ Reading Music Metadata Incorrectly

Have you tried removing the files and re-adding them? Are some of them .sys and .exe files or are those displaying incorrectly?

Highlighted
Constellation

No, I havent tried re-adding the files; I'll try and see if that fixes the problem. As for the other files marked as .sys and .exe, yes they are .mp3 files, those are just the track names. Here is another example of an album of the same artist with similar track names that display correctly, and with both albums  as viewed from within My Files.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

That's kind of awesome. Go ahead and remove everything, go to Settings>Apps>Music and clear the cache and data for the app and then re-add the music. 

Highlighted
Constellation

Alright, so I've tried re-adding the music after clearing the data and cache, but it still looks like the problem still persists.

Highlighted
Astronaut

I have a similar problem on my S9 although my files read all the metadata correctly besides the year - all my songs just have "Unknown" instead of displaying the year.

What I did to fix my album covers and some files before was this:

1) Go to the My files app and tap the 3 dots in the top right corner, go to settings and then "Show Hidden System Files"

2) Go to your internal storage and fiind a folder called "albumthumbs" delete the contents of this folder

3) Got to settings then Apps or Application manager, enable / show "System Apps" and then scroll and find "media storage" Clear the data

4) Clear the Cache of your music player

5) Restart Phone

What this does is forces your phone to Re-scan all of your media files [Pictures Videos Music]. This may take up to an hour depending on how many media files you have on your decive, BEWARE this does mess with the order your photos appear in some apps [For example if you were to try and upload a photo to instagram your photos will not be in the order they were before you did the re-scan]. But this will not delete any data, you could backup files to be safe but in my erperience nothing was deleted and I have over 2K songs, photos and videos