JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S10/S10+ Led Notification Light Missing

(Topic created: 01-17-2020 04:14 PM)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Is the LED Notification light missing from the S10 phone, if it is is there a workaround to get it, or will there be an update and they will add it? 

Also if it is, I am very disappointed and considering not getting the new phone.  

517 Replies
VerbumVeritum
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@Anonymous sorry to hear you're going to Apple over the lack of a dedicated notification LED indicator. I'm pretty sure Apple got rid of their notification LED as well though, so....

There are many apps that simulate this feature on the S10 that work splendidly. Holey Light is a great app made by a respected member  of XDA forums, Chainfire. Another is the Edge Lighting+ from Samsung; there is a camera cutout option for the edge lighting. 

HogCall
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

There is still no LED notification light. I miss text & other notifications ALL. THE. TIME. because my phone sits there dark, not letting me know that I didn't see it at the exact moment it arrived. Whomever took away the LED light (or hasn't gotten this supposed new light to work) is ruining the phone.  I won't buy another Samsung if there is no LED light.

0 Likes
user02mOiKj2Yj
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Remove the tiny notification light and put a huge cutout in the screen for a camera lens that most don't care about? Previous camera was fine. Don't see the need for a super camera. What's the point of infinity screen when most people put a case on phone? How about eliminating the useless Bixby button if you need to come up with something for your engineers to do? The camera cutout is ugly, unecessary and unwanted. The notification light is a necessary, popular and useful feature. Went to upgrade my s8+, told about missing notification light, did not upgrade. I hope Samsung rethinks this boondoggle on S11. Maybe Samsung should test design changes with real users. 

0 Likes
Geno71
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@user02mOiKj2Yj wrote:

Remove the tiny notification light and put a huge cutout in the screen for a camera lens that most don't care about? Previous camera was fine. Don't see the need for a super camera.

It's not about "super camera", it's about having a much larger screen.

What's the point of infinity screen when most people put a case on phone?

Case or no case, there is still simply more screen. I think more people prefer more screen vs an LED light. Phones sell well, so it appears to be the case.

How about eliminating the useless Bixby button if you need to come up with something for your engineers to do?

They did. Obviously they can't do it on S10 series phones, but Note 10 devices don't have it.

The camera cutout is ugly, unecessary and unwanted. The notification light is a necessary, popular and useful feature. Went to upgrade my s8+, told about missing notification light, did not upgrade. I hope Samsung rethinks this boondoggle on S11. Maybe Samsung should test design changes with real users. 

The camera cutout is only a stepping stone on the way to phones that are all screen. There will be no room for LED lights, home buttons, speakers, fingerprint scanners and even cameras very soon. This is what people ask for when they vote with their wallets and companies are happy to accommodate to stay in the game.

Don't forget to give this post a Like by clicking on the ❤ icon below. 
And if it answered your question, please click on "Accept as Solution"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@user02mOiKj2Yj The part that gets me about "it's all about screen size" I have an S10 on my computer desk in front of me and the notification LED could have been put right next to the camera or on the left side. If you look at the camera on any page you may be on it's always there. The screen does not use that part of the face of the phone. You are absolutely right about people buying. I bought the S10e not even thinking they would remove the LED. but unfortunately I couldn't take it back in time becasue of an operation had me laid up for two month. So I bnought an S9 until I can get to moving around a little better. I just talked to me son last night and he buys unlocked phones like I do. He told me it's his last Samsung phone and product. He's tired of having junk (bloatware) forced on him as well. So it's him, his wife two children and one grandaughhter plus me that will not be buying any Samsung phones or any other Samsung product. As long as anyone on this forum has any problem with what I've mentioned then STOP buying Samsung. I've been trying to sell this stupid thing and no luck yet, so that tells me something.

0 Likes
RonHoward
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This is NOT solved then! 

Can we get this unmarked as "solved?" 

0 Likes
Geno71
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Well it will never "really" be solved as there is no physical hardware for it, maybe it's time to move on?

userXKgyo8yQTG
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Nearly a year later and it still seems like we are without an official notification led system. That's really not cool. 

0 Likes
Geno71
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

After almost a year, I think they did what they felt like they had to do by adding few new options to the edge lighting. I know this is not what most of us expected, but that's their solution. Nothing else is going to happen there. They've moved on and so should we. I have.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Geno71, I agree. it's nothing but a road tro extreme frustration and unsettlement. I however do beleive Samsung and all other phone manufacturers could have built into the phone to use the display other menas to accomplish the task at hand.

Stay safe

Kent

@Geno71 wrote:

After almost a year, I think they did what they felt like they had to do by adding few new options to the edge lighting. I know this is not what most of us expected, but that's their solution. Nothing else is going to happen there. They've moved on and so should we. I have.

0 Likes