JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S10/S10+ Led Notification Light Missing

(Topic created: 04-01-2019 06:25 PM)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Is the LED Notification light missing from the S10 phone, if it is is there a workaround to get it, or will there be an update and they will add it? 

Also if it is, I am very disappointed and considering not getting the new phone.  

517 Replies
Mtiede
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Not sure what you meant by "doesn't work", but it either doesn't do what you want, you don't have it set up, or your device isn't working properly, but edge lighting does work (for some services).

Of course, edge lighting doesn't work exactly like the old led notifications.  It doesn't STAY lit.  It just flashes and goes away.  But the Always On Display keeps the notification ICON on the screen so that you know you got something.  And if the phone is on a table, the vibration can be heard also.

Personally, I'm perfectly fine with seeing the notification status on the Always On Display.

0 Likes
userCwI8Xuf85L
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

The Edge Lighting doesn't work.  I'm "sorta" savvy when working with Settings and even took it into Verizon to a gal far better than I.  We could not get it to work with any of the apps I chose for notifications (Message+, Facebook, etc.).  Many S10 users are reporting the same issue with the Edge Lighting not working on their devices.

I have Always on Display on as well, but that doesn't let me know I've missed a call/message from across the room (since I'm not always 2 feet from my phone).  For me, it was an Important Feature that they never should have removed.  And I hope they bring it back in the next generations.

Mtiede
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I only tried Message (because that is what I would use).  So it DOES work for something.  My guess is that the various apps that COULD use it, don't use the proper api call to make it happen because it is some sort of new feature.  I've just started looking into doing my own programming so if I find something about that feature and how it must be implemented, I'll let you know.

I can't imagine not having my phone in my pocket or on the desk beside me.  Out of curiosity, why do you have it across the room?

0 Likes
userCwI8Xuf85L
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

At Verizon, we did get it working for Message, but that's it and I much prefer Message+.  I like to personalize/customize my phone.

I would love it if you would let me know.  Thank you!

While at work, it's on my desk and super close; so it's a non-issue.  However, when I'm at home, there's cooking, cleaning, vacuuming, laundry, etc., etc.  And I don't "want" my phone on me.  Then there's sleeping.  My phone sits on the nightstand next to bed.  I used to be able to just lift me head to see if I missed anything.  Not any more.

0 Likes
Mtiede
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I thought I already posted a reply to this, but I don't see it, so here goes again. We have our phones on the wireless charger stand by the bed and, at night, you CAN get status of things at a glance. Just use the "Always On Display" and the icons will show the status of a lot of apps and if you have something new. If you don't want AOD to be on all the time, I'm pretty sure you could just have bixby turn on at night. The only thing I don't like about that is I can't get a dark red color so that it doesn't light up the room at night. Our 950xl and 950 Windows Phones did the same sort of thing at night with their "Glance screen", but allowed a nice darker red color so that it wasn't so bright. With the 950xl/950 the "Glance screen" took little or maybe even NO battery so we kept it on all the time. I assume that the AOD is the same way. I haven't noticed a significant battery drain from it on the S10 anyway.
0 Likes
Xtrafuzzy
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I used a Pixel 3 XL and was in love with that UI and experince. Switched to a Galaxy S10+ for the battery life and extra RAM. I'm like, man this Pixel is great but I should get something with more logevity for the future. So far, to use a term from a previous poster, this thing is TRASH. UI is just so busy and cartoony. The curve screen really has no purpose unless you just love the side app bar, which couldn't happen on a flat screen?? But thats besides the point. Regarding notifications, yea, no LED sort of indicator and I can't get the Edge Lighting to work for anything all. I assume it would work for the Samsung message app, but forget that trash. It should work for everything. AND not just when the screen is ON, what good does that do me? I mean c'mon Samsung, you're a billion dollar company and can't get the fudging edge lighting to work after what...five different generations of phones that use it? Other issues include UltraSonic fingerprint sensor is TRASH, why not just use the capacitive one from the S10e? Lightning fast and IT WORKS. Volume warning when i'm in the car using Bluetooth, WHY!! OMG. BIXBY BUTTON, WHY!!!, Power button placement, all the way up in the north pole??. I'm just..I don't ....sigh. Nothing makes sense. I got a couple of days to send back, I think it's a dead fish, finding a better option is making sense the more I write this. Get it together Samsung.

0 Likes
userOEoMPuislm
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

When I realized that Samsung had done away with the notification LED I was ready to get the 3XL until I found out they also did away with the notification LED!

The prices of the 9 are dropping and unless Samsung come up with the so called software update soon I am just goint to get the 9+.

0 Likes
userCwI8Xuf85L
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I know it's not funny, but your post cracked me up!!!!  And you are SO RIGHT about a few things:  like the Fingerprint Sensor... it's awful.  If you've had your hands in water for any amount of time, the sensor won't work at all.  And your thumb has to be square on the screen, so it does take longer to open my phone.  This was never an issue before.  Also, I'm a grown-up, I don't need a warning about Volume.  Haha.  Bixby is proving to be more trouble than it's worth?  But, in all fairness, I've not given it much of a chance yet to show what it does.  I did have to turn the "wake up" voice feature for Bixby off because it interferes with other voice apps.  The power button has always been up in the North Pole, so I'm used to that.

All that said... I've had the Galaxy S1, S3, S5, S7 and now the S10.  I have always loved my phone(s)!!  I love being able to customize and Samsung has given more freedom to do that with the S10.  Yay!!  Also, I love the camera and my battery lasts WAY longer.  I am NOT happy about losing the lighted notification, but that's my biggest complaint.  Other than that, I still LOVE my Galaxy... it's BEAUTIFUL :D!!

Hopefully Samsung will fix the notification.  It's removal was a huge mistake... for my needs anyway.

0 Likes
user8XxlRXJztP
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I upgraded from my old S6 yesterday to the S10 Plus. However, I am MORTIFIED that the color notification LED is missing! I used this constantly, daily, for many years now, and I cannot believe that Samsung's legions of engineers have not only opted to leave off this highly desirable and useful function, but they've failed to add it back in via updates.
0 Likes
userblhUKuQ3LV
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I owned an S6 for many years and like you and so many more, the LED light was VERY VERY useful! I was about to upgrade after a long time to a S10+ but thankfully i was saved by reading these comments that notification LED is not there.
For me it was a critical reason, to affect my decision of not buying S10+.  I decided to wait for Samsung to release an update on the software to make the space around the camera to act as a notification LED, hearing some comments here from top posters that Samsung will do, but after waiting for some weeks i had enough with Samsung.
My 1100 € for a new smartphone went to another company. Too bad for me because i liked a lot S10+ but without a notification LED it's a big NO. The other phone has an uglier gui, a worse screen but it has incredible new zoom abilities in its camera.
Samsung should know better before removing a perfectly handy feature without replacing it. I do wonder don't they take decisions based on their customers? I guess not. Then bye bye Samsung.....

0 Likes