JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S10/S10+ Led Notification Light Missing

(Topic created: 04-09-2019 11:33 AM)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Is the LED Notification light missing from the S10 phone, if it is is there a workaround to get it, or will there be an update and they will add it? 

Also if it is, I am very disappointed and considering not getting the new phone.  

517 Replies
userolBbAuhe8x
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This doesn't fix the problem at all cause always on display can't be bright enough.. Give it a test  make that circle around the lens go and step back... Not bright enough to see .. 

0 Likes
userCwI8Xuf85L
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Not to mention, the Always On Display is not big enough to see from more than 1 foot away.  So it's neither bright enough nor big enough.  Not that I want large messages on my lock screen.  I prefer a sleek, classy looking phone.  That is why the LED Notification was obviously so perfect.  Shame that they removed a completely functional & practical feature.

P.S.  I am shocked by the amount of people who have replied who are unaffected by this change because they seem to have their phones with them at all times.  I, personally, am not attached to my phone.

Also, a few have remarked wondering what the big deal is because they've personally never had a notification light.  Well, knowing you missed a text, a message or a call At-A-Glance from across the room was an invaluable feature that is GREATLY missed.  Hence, all the groaning that it's gone.

userolBbAuhe8x
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Exactly, people who don't see this being a problem are probably people who have a job that they use their phone or allowed to have their phones ringing and making sounds and not be a problem for their business or management...majority of employees aren't allowed to have a phone on their person during work hours so no they won't miss it but some of us have a job or career that involves staying in touch with their customers but don't let the annoying sounds interrupt business. So yes the notification light is VERY IMPORTANT to us cause either it's required or just common curiosities. 

Sad that we buy one of the most expensive phones and we've gone backwards in a simple technology  I don't want to have to check my phone every 5 minutes just to see if I missed a very important call, text or whatever.. 

Last Samsung I will own... 

They duked us and didn't bother being upfront about it and instead designed a cover to kinda take care of this problem .. 

All you that don't believe this simply look in the settings and you will find a setting for led cover... Why 

JoyComputer
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

It seems like it would be easy to create a little colored dot in the upper left corner. As a notifications light. Personally, I don't miss it.

0 Likes
userOEoMPuislm
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Asked Samsung this question:-

"A Samsung Care Ambassador mentioned that the camera cutout will indeed function as the notification light. It will be automatically colored based on the notification. This was learned this from a Samsung executive after the Unpacked event in San Francisco. There will be a software update that will enable this on or slightly before launch." When will this update happen?

This was their answer:-

"Hi, thanks for reaching out to us. We are unable to speculate about any future updates. ^Misel"

So, bottom line is do not hold your breath! As others have said the actual LED is missing altogether, any repalcement for this functionality will involve part of the display needing to be turned on be it the ring around the camera or some other part of the display. Third party apps. have been shown to negatively affect battery life and some will not work with the screen locked and AOD off. Looks like I need to look at the S9+ as an upgrade to my S7 edge.

0 Likes
user2jGp6G5Xka
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

The apps that do this around the camera cutout are getting very close to working 100% with minimal battery impact.  Although a Samsung native version should probably be coded by Samsung.  They owe it to you as at least an option to enable if you wanted to.

Just keep messaging Samsung in chat and in email and also let your carrier know to report it to Samsung that you want this.  You need your voice heard otherwise they will let it slide.  I'm surprised no big publications are pressing Samsung for an official answer to this, and/or when they will provide the solution.  Why is this?

All those bringing up the LED cover as a solution --  The LED notification on the cover functions the same as Edge Lighting -- it is not a solution.  It only shows once and never repeats like an LED would (every 5 seconds).   Don't waste your money on the LED cover.  It prohibits NFC from functioning, drains battery, and is very buggy.

userCwI8Xuf85L
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi user2jGp6G5Xka,

Thank you for your response 😄  You wouldn't happen to know which of the 3rd party apps for led camera cutout notification is the best for my S10, would you?

Thanks again!

0 Likes
Xrstoy1
Halo
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@userCwI8Xuf85L wrote:

Hi user2jGp6G5Xka,

Thank you for your response 😄  You wouldn't happen to know which of the 3rd party apps for led camera cutout notification is the best for my S10, would you?

Thanks again!

People have been using AOE (always on edge) there is a thread with instructions. I tried it and took it off to be honest it really sucked up my battery. But if you follow the tutorial it may work better. I'll just wait for Samsung

user2jGp6G5Xka
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

"AOE" (Always on Edge) has been working very reliably for me.  Mind you it's very hard to configure and I could post my settings to show you an optimal configuration if you can't get it to work, but I have S10+.  Just remember to disable all apps in the notification apps list first and only enable the ones you want to see notifications for.  Also for missed calls, you need to search for "Phone" and 5 apps come up, I believe the third and last one need to be checked for it to work with missed calls on S10+.  You need to disable everything in the app except for the "notch only"  option and do show notification icons so it's a mini AOD like view until you dismiss, use "flicker" style for notch  (speed 1, thickness 6), and only have" When notification comes, and screen is off" checked of the run options.  I don't use the repeat sub-function of this option as the timing isn't perfect yet.  Make sure to go to settings of each app you enabled notification for and slide it to "always", unless its one that's not that important to you - maybe 30 seconds or a minute.  For close options: check all: Swipe up, double tap, and Long press.  So you have 3 ways to dismiss the notification or get into the phone to read it.  It works, but takes time to get it right.  Once you get a working configuration, then you can tweak from there.  If you want me to give you my entire configuration it will take time for me to map it out, and you can see that it does work.

"Holey Light" is in beta and soon to release a full while on battery working version (right now I think it only runs on charge during beta) -- it is closest to actual LED light (as it lights also when screen is on until notification is cleared) and lighter on the battery.  It runs with AOD on and I have high hopes for this one to eventually replace AOE once it's ready for prime time.

Or if Samsung decides to finally man up and release a native one !

userCwI8Xuf85L
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

LOTS of great info!!  Thank you so much!  Especially looking forward to "Holey Light" if Samsung doesn't come out with a fix soon 😄

0 Likes