JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S10/S10+ Led Notification Light Missing

(Topic created: 07-10-2019 03:59 AM)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Is the LED Notification light missing from the S10 phone, if it is is there a workaround to get it, or will there be an update and they will add it? 

Also if it is, I am very disappointed and considering not getting the new phone.  

517 Replies
Travesty646
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Sorry, but this is a deal breaker for me. If I can't get one of the third-party apps to give me an LED notification, then I'm going to use my option to return the S10e within the first 14 days. I cannot have a phone without LED notification capabilities. Sony was able to resolve this with an LED within the earpiece. Why wasn't Samsung able to do the same?

0 Likes
user8EHbU6NUYL
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Still no update regarding this!!! Very frustrated 😞

0 Likes
userGoOJdOH0V9
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@VerbumVeritum wrote:

@Anonymous  you will be pleased to hear that the S10 family will be using the camera cutout hole for the notification light. A spinning circle or other animation will appear in various colors around the camera hole. Whenever Face Recognition is used or the selfie camera is activated, the camera cutout will also light up again. It's pretty cool! 

Update: Turns out the release for this update has been delayed for some reason. We don't know why, and don't have access to that information from this end. Only developers know specifically when. I do believe the update is happening, as it was confirmed by a supervisor in the testing area after the Unpacked release event & afterward by a Samsung executive. 

Hello  @SamsungAdam , this is not solved. Please revert back to unsolved

userilZeGCyrn2
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Wouldn't say this is a solution as it still doesn't resolve the issue that owners of the S10 range of phone do not have a notification indicator of any kind.  No point having a notification flashing up for 3 seconds after the message has been delivered, no point if I am not looking at the phone at that time!  I have had the Galaxy S2, S4, S6, S8+ and now the S10+.  I am sure that all of these devices had a LED notification indicator.  To suddenly take away this feature seems silly.  So I can charge someone else's device with wireless power share on my S10+ now but I can't tell if I have a new email, text message or WhatsApp on my phone!!  The phone is expensive enough and I have been told by Samsung "Customer Services" today to download a 3rd party app.  I wasn't told which one but just to download one! Not great service considering a number of your customers are asking for what is a function that we have come to expect with these phones.  For Samung not to offer this as an update is pretty bad to be honest for a £800+ device!  Shame on you Samsung, please provide a software update soon to resolve this issue.

userp5ynks3bf4
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Today I oredered the s10e and just googled some reviews. I was expecting improved version of the s9. I am so happy I stumbled on this issue with the new s10. I immediately cancelled my order. The LED notificartion  light is very impiortant for me and is one of the main reasons I stick to Samsung phones. I hope that this important feature will be brought back 

useruB4Ps9NpUT
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I am not sure why it is so hard to get this done? The camera illumination is most likely more of a stretch as there is probably zero development that went into enabling that portion of the screen as a notification aera. However, edge lighting already works as a notification tool. Granted, it is currently too limited and only lights up one time, but letting a user select a color for messages, voice messages, etc. and then not only light the strip once, but continue in a preset interval until cleared should not be too big a lift. I would be happy with that as an LED replacement. 

userjxnzutaSf8
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@VerbumVeritum is there any update to this? It's been months and not having any indication of what notifications I have, without having to tap my screen every time, is really frustrating.

0 Likes
VerbumVeritum
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@userjxnzutaSf8 Samsung released their version of the notification LED with their updated Edge Lighting + app. A great app that has been reliable and useful to me has been Holey Light though. I highly recommend it. It offers a high degree of customization and is 100% safe. 

VerbumVeritum
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@Anonymous everything that makes the phone function can be considered being controlled by an application. Had there been a physical LED, the functionality would still be controlled by a system app. Holey Light (or alternatively Edge Lighting + made by Samsung themselves) are real alternatives for you. The sky is the limit with Android, and these apps take up hardly memory. Many phone manufacturers are removing LEDs from their devices. Some aren't. You're welcome to look elsewhere if it's right for you, but if you ask me I love my S10+ way too much (and use Holey Light, which works wonderfully for me) to give it up for any other brand. 

THKKPorter
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Please mark this as UNSOLVED. When people do a Google search for this issue the link for this post comes up as Issue Solved. It's absolutely not!

Using third party apps is not considered solved. Samsung really needs to step it up and fix this. If we have third party apps that can fix this then Samsung should be able to.