JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S10/S10+ Led Notification Light Missing

(Topic created: 02-27-2019 07:54 AM)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Is the LED Notification light missing from the S10 phone, if it is is there a workaround to get it, or will there be an update and they will add it? 

Also if it is, I am very disappointed and considering not getting the new phone.  

JUMP TO SOLUTION
517 Replies
Spore64
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I thought I read you can use edge lighting and just select the apps you want it to blink for, like messages, missed calle etc

0 Likes
user2jGp6G5Xka
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I was unable to convince the wife to even try it - so her phone sits here unactivated.  Some sort of notification blink from a distance is a mandatory requirement and she doesn't want to miss an important call or message while at work.  Not everyone holds their phone 24/7.  Just shocked and dissapointed for such a costly flagship to not have this feature equivalent from the start - never again doing a release day phone.  Tried the AOD, set phone to silent, set it to on always and as bright as it can go.  It's static and you can't really see the tiny icons from a distance and not going to walk over to it every time to see it's  just a message from AccuWeather asking for money for their bloatware app or some other useless notification.  It was unusable even while the phone sat just a few feet away on the living room coffee table - you still have no idea if you need to check it. Other solutions Samsung provides I've investigated all day like the LED backcover.  These LED backcovers do blink on notification, but they do NOT blink forever.  They time out and go dark.  Useless.  Edge lighting times out and also goes dark, never to repeat. Useless. We need that camera ring at a minimum to flash once every 5-6 seconds if notifications are waiting until the notification is addressed.

There isn't anyone on this 'samsung.com' forum who can reach out to an executive of high ranking that can verify this release is coming and when?   13 days remaining .. and back to S7  😞

0 Likes
user0vtBQL4Hvj
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hopefully you've learned not set expectations here.

This is the only source I know of allegedly confirming using the cutout as a replacement for the LED... Starting to seem like it's not happening.

0 Likes
VerbumVeritum
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@user0vtBQL4Hvj this is precisely the reason mods here don't confirm or deny updates or software/feature release dates at all if there is any doubt. They may just not know or even have access to that info, but whatever mods say have to be correct and factual. They work for Samsung. I don't. The blow back on me personally in this thread is kind of funny actually, because I am just telling you what I heard. I never stated or promised anything. An expectation was set for me too because I was hyped about the cutout notification.

I have been part of this Community for years, and can actually relay certain dates if I am told from (what still is) a credible source of info.  Everything I have been saying would be the same as if you yourself heard from a Samsung executive about the cutout notification after the event. 

I can't find the source I read about the cutout notification weeks before Unpacked, but I do remember a website that claimed a leak from within Samsung stated this feature was happening also. This isn't just coming out of nowhere or far-fetched. Everyone is so dimissive and the phone has only been out for 1 full day people! 😂

0 Likes
izephyr
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@VerbumVeritum Don't take it personally dear!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you and drop some
VerbumVeritum
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@izephyr oh I'm definitely not. It isn't my fault the update isn't being talked about or pushed, etc lol. Maybe Samsung wants it to be a surprise? Ooops haha. I have no clue why no one else asked a Samsung official about this at Unpacked on the record, but it seemed like a no brainier question for a news reporter or blogger to ask. 😋

user2jGp6G5Xka
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I don't understand the lack of such an important feature on release day on a phone of this caliber.   To some it may seem trivial but it is a very useful feature.  Especially when in the dark, or when the phone is in silent mode and you can't be touching it.  Perhaps you are waiting for an important message from a loved one who is far away or someone in the hospital, etc.  It is especially useful in an environment where you can't be holding a phone for any reason unless emergency.  A women who takes a peek inside her purse for a flash of light is much different from grabbing the phone to look if tiny icons are present, pressing on it to wake it for 30 seconds, etc.    I realize something like this would need some deep embedded coding to get it to hook into the default APIs that control the LED in android - but for the time being they could just push an AOD update from Samsung store that blinks the camera ring in the exact way the selfie camera does (except every few seconds) at the same time it detects and displays its "notification" color icons.  This would work as a temporary fix until an official OS patch to remap the LED is pushed.  Is anyone at Samsung actually reading this thread? I hope they realized this lack of functionality really missed the mark.  The phone is just a phone, it's good so far, but it definitely has a deal breaker which I am not sure I'm willing to gamble it will be remedied in due time.  They got 13 days.. more like 10 days before it's boxed and on the way back.  It can always be repurchased so no big deal.  Just a real dissapointment for me and my wife.  We are not going to go backwards to S9 and lose the front fingerprint sensor, and not going to be hoping each update actually brings the functionality either.  This ain't my first rodeo with phones lacking things back to the first Bionic.  No where else to go but back old faithful for now.. S7.

usermFtvaSJFiG
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

on my European S10, there is a notification animation when the front cam is swiched on... A small circle circles around the front cam hole...

However no notifications on received messages...(yet?)

0 Likes
userGioN9IlM66
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Yup, mine has the same. Also when i use face unlock. I hope they will make an notification LED.

0 Likes
useragHAKDVyKU
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I am also new to the S10+ and come from an S8+ and needed the LED on the S8 and did not know the S10+ does not have any form of notification like the s8+ LED ring did, if this is not resolved within my cooling off period then like others the s10+ will go back and I will look at other manufactures which is such a shame.

0 Likes