cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
userY78WPqEfAD
Constellation

S10 missing IR port

I have recently upgraded my s5 for an s10. Everything has been brilliant except I have been trying to control the tv via IR remote in hospital.

I have always said I choose samsung because they include all the features unlike Apple. To my surprise my s10 does not include the features of my s5.

How could this happen to an important feature like IR.  The Samsung team must not be aware of the useful properties or possibilities for this feature.
I thought I should fill you in on the power of the IR port as it appears this has been overlooked. 
 When travelling, in hospital, at home or with a lost remote a samsung user can .. could control tvs vcrs  dvd players, air conditioners! Access modes not available on cheap remotes used in motels worldwide. Please reconsider this sensor. As Samsung should be synonymous with the best. Don't go backwards to fit in .. leave that to Gates.

Ps an IR camera sensor would set an s11 or12 apart from the competition .. without having to compete on Apples terms .. because your not Apple!

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: S10 missing IR port

@userY78WPqEfAD the real questions are what are you willing to potentially lose in order to regain IR, and is IR still a viable future technology in our devices in general? I agree that having an IR blaster can be useful, although that feature hasn't been apart of a Samsung flagship for many years... 😒

KingBeefVI
Cosmic Ray

I hate to be the one to bring bad news, but the IR Blaste...

I hate to be the one to bring bad news, but the IR Blaster sadly went away after the S6. If I had to wager, there simply was not enough of an uproar about its removal to cause Samsung to reconsider.

Samsung_Mn6Wf0p
Astronaut

I 100% agree with this post the IR blaster was something...

I 100% agree with this post the IR blaster was something that I basically used on a daily basis it is actually why I purchase the LG phone the v20 over any other products and now all flagship product seem to be dropping the IR port it's pretty sad to be honest that I actually want to go back to my LG v20 literally just because of the accessibility of my IR Port gave me, what am I willing to take lose for it? With three phones in three different sizes you would think at least one of them could manage to fit a little more hardware in it

yamiel
Astronaut

I also upgraded from S5 to S10 Plus and am disappointed that this very important feature has been removed.

Should the ir hardware part exist on the S10 but is just disable in the current Android OS, i urge Samsung to enable it in the future Android upgrade

@userY78WPqEfAD wrote:

I have recently upgraded my s5 for an s10. Everything has been brilliant except I have been trying to control the tv via IR remote in hospital.

I have always said I choose samsung because they include all the features unlike Apple. To my surprise my s10 does not include the features of my s5.

How could this happen to an important feature like IR.  The Samsung team must not be aware of the useful properties or possibilities for this feature.
I thought I should fill you in on the power of the IR port as it appears this has been overlooked. 
 When travelling, in hospital, at home or with a lost remote a samsung user can .. could control tvs vcrs  dvd players, air conditioners! Access modes not available on cheap remotes used in motels worldwide. Please reconsider this sensor. As Samsung should be synonymous with the best. Don't go backwards to fit in .. leave that to Gates.

Ps an IR camera sensor would set an s11 or12 apart from the competition .. without having to compete on Apples terms .. because your not Apple!

Fizzon
Constellation

I too miss the IR blaster especially to punk people in pu...

I too miss the IR blaster especially to punk people in public places, but I have been without my IR blaster for a while now and can do most of it over wifi with smart TVs and streamers giving me control over devices attached to the TV. It was useful but I have grown to live without it. If you really want one you can buy an adapter that plugs onto aux jack or power port heard it works just like the one built in. 😊

userN929N7rakK
Astronaut

Re: I too miss the IR blaster especially to punk people in pu...

You know i changed my phone to HUAWEI becasue has IR Infrared but samasung last my mobile Galaxy s6 edge before 4 years 

Bye bye Samsung 

Samsung_kl2k8Ok
Astronaut

Ditto

Ditto

Owen-M
Halo

I was disappointed about this too. They removed it after...

I was disappointed about this too. They removed it after the s5 because people were modding it to break into other people's garages

Neutron Star

As I replace phones often, it is very unusual for me to have someone expecting a feature that is long gone.  As if someone was in coma for few years and recently came back Smiley HappyNo offense

I do miss that feature too, but I guess got used to it