cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userlO10DYep8Y
Asteroid

S10 removed from pocket, fingerprint unlock not working

The fingerprint sensor generally works (e.g. unlocks the phone, paying with Samsung Pay). 
However, it does not work to unlock the phone if the phone has been sleeping for more than a few minutes (if the phone was taken out from the pocket). Nothing happens no matter I where tap the screen ('Show icon when screen is off' is turn on) / press the fingerprint sensor). 
When I try to unlock the phone, I will have to press the power button to wake up the phone then press on the fingerprint sensor. After pressing the power button to wake up the screen I will always get a message that says "The fingerprint sensor may be dirty. Clean it and try again.". 
The screen is very clean and in fact after unlock, I could use the fingerprint with no error.

26 REPLIES 26
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: S10 removed from pocket, fingerprint unlock not working

Have you tried safe mode to see if it works correctly?
userlO10DYep8Y
Asteroid

I just tried using safe mode, I put the phone in my pocket and walk around for 4min (set as a benchmark), then took out the phone and try to unlock the phone with my fingerprint, no respond... 
Tap everywhere in the screen, the fingerprint icon did not appear. However, once I depress the power button, the screen come on with the same msg telling me the fingerprint sensor may be dirty, clean it and try again.

(Note that my 'Double tap to wake up' & 'Lift to wake' were both disabled. 'Accidental touch protection' was enabled.)

I enabled the 'Double tap to wake up' and repeat the same process again, after 4 min, no respond when I try the fingerprint to unlock. But when I double tap the screen, the screen came on, with the msg 'fingerprint sensor may be dirty, clean it and try again.'. And I am able to unlock the phone with my fingerprint without cleaning.

(Also to note, the phone was in my pocket during the 4 min, with no incoming message, but of course, you can set it to airplane mode so that there won't be any activities on the phone during this process.)

ZiiimZooon
Constellation

Hi! I have the same problem as you! 

Do you have the AoS when you tap your screen? I have it on mine, that shows up, but not the fingerprint reader. 

userlO10DYep8Y
Asteroid

What is AoS? Mine basically no respond when I tap my screen, nothing appear.

userlO10DYep8Y
Asteroid

Do you mean AOD? I didn't on my AOD. However, I tried with AOD activated, and I can simulate the same problem, meaning AOD show up when I tap my screen but no fingerprint icon. Only when I depress the power button, then the fingerprint icon appear with the message showing "Fingerprint sensor may be dirty, clean it and try again.". Thereafter, the fingerprint sensor works throughout.

All these happened after I try to unlock the phone after taken out the from my pocket. Other than that, no issue if I left on the table for as long as I could and still can unlock with fingerprint.

ZiiimZooon
Constellation

Whoops, yeah I meant AOD. But yeah I had the same issue as you, contacted Samsung and they said I might need to try clean it, or re-add the fingerprints.

Got a video of the issue that I'm gonna send them 😅

phobos512
Astronaut

I have the same issue. I do NOT have tap to show screen, lift to wake, double tap to wake turned on. This issue only started with the fingerpeint update that came out this past week or so.

userlO10DYep8Y
Asteroid

Apparently I think it is a software gitch rather than a hardware issue. However, when I called in to Samsung, they said I am the only one who have this issue. I video down the problem and sent to them. They said they will escalate to their engineering side to take a look. Hopefully they can find out something wrong with the software.

userlO10DYep8Y
Asteroid

Why isn't any Samsung Moderator reply to this issue?