Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userFuiPXGvI0O
Asteroid

S10e - No notification sounds

JUMP TO SOLUTION

When I get a text message using the built-in text messaging app, it only vibrates but there is no sound even though I have it set to make a sound.

Also, if I go under the Sounds and vibration menu in settings and click around on the different sounds under "notification sounds" I would expect to hear a preview of each sound (like it does for example when I click on ringtones in the ringtone menu) but those are silent as well.

Help please!

This is a new US unlocked variant S10e device purchased directly from Samsung.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userFuiPXGvI0O
Asteroid

Re: S10e - No notification sounds

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Update: I discovered what was causing the issue...

For some reason "SmartThings" (which I don't even use) was on. I turned it off and now my notification sounds are back.

12 REPLIES 12
userFuiPXGvI0O
Asteroid

Re: S10e - No notification sounds

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Update: I discovered what was causing the issue...

For some reason "SmartThings" (which I don't even use) was on. I turned it off and now my notification sounds are back.

Samsung_wTLQ8PZ
Astronaut

I dont understand

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I dont understand

userFuiPXGvI0O
Asteroid

Re: I dont understand

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Made no sense to me either but somehow Samsung’s SmartThings app was interfering with the phone’s ability to produce notification sounds. Once I turned off the app (it has an on/off function at the top of the interface similar to other Samsung apps), the notification sounds started working again.

Samsung_N5MbbFH
Astronaut

I have samsungs9 and I have a software update pop-up when...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have samsungs9 and I have a software update pop-up when I click ok it still doesn't update and my notifications bar it says device management software updating and then will disappear and come few MINUTES later

Samsung_8Lk0SiE
Astronaut

I tried turning off Smart Things and I'm still not gettin...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I tried turning off Smart Things and I'm still not getting any sounds played when I get a text message. Any suggestions?

userFuiPXGvI0O
Asteroid

Re: I tried turning off Smart Things and I'm still not gettin...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

First check your notification sounds and make sure they are set correctly and not to “silent”. 

If that doesn’t work try, try this:

https://youtu.be/H7fjg90LIsg

If that doesn’t work, try clearing the system cache.

This video is to show how to fix no notification alerts from Messaging app on Samsung Galaxy S8, S8 Plus, Note 8, S9, and S9 Plus with Android 8.x. Some users are not getting any tones, notifications, or anything when a message is received. This will solve your problem. For those with Android 7.x
kdbyers
Asteroid

I had the same freaking issue! Something as simple as mak...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had the same freaking issue! Something as simple as making sure your notification volume level is actually turned up. Mine was turned all the way down causing me to have no sound at all. Simply press volume up or down on the left side of the phone, then you will see the volume level at the top, quickly before it disappears, pull down on that volume level bar as if your going to check your notifications and there you will see all of your volume levels. Hope this helps. Easy fix! Also make sure you have sound selected and not vibrate or silient.

userrxKJIWXv9x
Astronaut

Re: I had the same freaking issue! Something as simple as mak...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for that advice. I had the same problem and had been randomly checking everything. 👍

teegrah
Constellation

Re: I had the same freaking issue! Something as simple as mak...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've been dealing with this problem for days and I can't believe it was something that simple. I tried everything else suggested here and elsewhere, but your 'fix' did the trick for me. 👍