cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

S10e - Very strange, no text message notification sound, but only when Messaging is open?

Unlocked S10e on Verizon running Android 10.  If messaging app is closed I get the notification sound just fine, and can customize it for contacts, etc.  But if the app is open, for example if I just texted someone, when they reply I get no notification sound.

FWIW I also have Professional Reminder running to notify of missed calls and messages, since I could never get that to work natively with the stock phone apps.  But I've tried turning off Prof Reminder, disabling, and even force stopping it, no change at all, still no sound.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: S10e - Very strange, no text message notification sound, but only when Messaging is open?

Hey there, could you provide a screenshot of your message settings?

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: S10e - Very strange, no text message notification sound, but only when Messaging is open?

Hey, 

@guitarguy77

As far as I know the Samsung messages app is designed not to send notifications while a conversation is actively open.

When I'm texting back and forth with someone I really don't want to hear a notification tone and see the edge lighting display for each reply they send. 

On the other hand if I think it's going to be a while before they reply I can send the open conversation to the recently used appa panel and lock it. Now I can use other apps and when they send a reply I get all the notifications and open the conversation from the recents panel. We can also send a message and turn the screen off. When they reply the notifications are sent, I press the Power key and it opens the conversation with the new reply. 

Best regards, 

CLF 

T-mobile

Galaxy S9 SM-G960U 

Android 10 One UI 2.0 

G960USQS7DTB1

Security Patch Level

March 1st, 2020