cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Sound input is awful (muffled/static) for calls and select apps, but works for camera recordings

When I first got my Samsung s10e, I did not get any complaints from people on the other ends of my calls. However, since a few days ago, when I call someone, they complain that they cannot hear me.

It seems similar to what happened to people in this thread: "is no one else having call / audio quality issues with the Galaxy S10 in speaker and regular mode?" Unfortunately, the solution listed there did not work for me.

Here is what I have done:

- I have tested the situations that impact audio quality. When I am on a phone call or recording my voice in apps like MosaLingua, the audio quality is problematic as described. But when I record a video on the Camera, the audio quality is fine. Thus, I believe it is a software issue, not a hardware issue.

- I have done a factory reset of my phone and only installed the required applications from Samsung/Google and the problem resists. Therefore, I do not think it is a app permissions issue.

- Per the solutions recommended in the other thread, I have disabled VoLTE calling and wi-fi calling and the issue persists.

- Per a video I saw, I cleared the cache for Bixby voice. The issues persists.

To better illustrate the issue, I have created a video that demonstrates the audio quality of a phone call versus a camera recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txH9LVHHr5A

(Note: I have similar issues with audio even when I'm using a voice recorder app on my phone such as MosaLingua, so I don't think the cellular connection is the issue either.)

I am holding my phone the exact same way and speaking at the same volume in each video, so that shouldn't be the issue. It is the same microphone and the same phone, yet the audio quality is night and day because of the software. 

I am not sure what else to do...at this rate, I'm tempted to just call it a loss and trade-in the phone for $300 or whatever and buy a new phone. I got the phone as part of a promotion so returning it is not an option.

Please help me resolve my audio issues so I don't have to deal with trading in the phone (it seems like most places aren't even accepting s10 trade-ins yet...)

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Sound input is awful (muffled/static) for calls and select apps, but works for camera recordings

@usereZmU0oOsgx Does your audio issue still persist when your phone is in safe mode?

Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Sound input is awful (muffled/static) for calls and select apps, but works for camera recordings

I am having th the exact same experience it's really frustrating considering the price of the phone and updates which also haven't fixed the problem. 

Highlighted
Constellation

I am having the same issue. My phone sound is tinny. Not sure how else to describe it x

Highlighted
Constellation

Mine sounds like it is tinny. I have tried everything people have said 

Highlighted
Constellation

OP here, I haven't had any complaints recently, so although the sound input isn't ideal, I'm not worrying about it anymore. It seems servicable, at least. Still, I'm probably not going to go with a Samsung phone in the future due to this issue.