cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samsung_G8axUYX
Astronaut

Speech to Text Features Missing on the S10

The best feature that I used every single day on my S7 was speech to text. I would be able to tap on the incorrect word and the phone would give me other words that I simply tapped on to change it to the correct word right in the middle of the message.

In other words I'd say the word along and the phone would type alone instead. Then with one finger tap on that word, the S7 would pull up 3 or 4 words that sound similar that I could tap on once and it would be replaced.

This feature is completely missing on the S10. Even when I tap on the wrong word the s10 software would bring the cursor back to the end of the paragraph.

This is very frustrating.

I use to use this feature all the time because it was so much easier and quicker to chat with people. Now, they think I'm ignoring them because I'm not going to type a message while I'm in the car. (not driving)

I'm hoping for an update to bring this feature back soon because I really miss it. I still have a couple weeks to return this phone, save a lot of money and just get an older model. I really don't want to have to do that.

Is there an app that I can install that will bring this feature back?

Thanks,

Mike-

11 REPLIES 11
Sflboxter
Asteroid

I thought it was frustrating that the talk to text featur...

I thought it was frustrating that the talk to text feature most times on my 9S wasn't close to interpreting what I said. It's so bad most times I can only laugh at what it says. I was hoping with time it would adapt to my speech. If I speak really really really slow..... it will work fine. All the features are otherwise working. Mike now you're saying the 10 doesn't offer a better talk to text but worse. All of a sudden I'm hearing "your going to miss me when I'm gone" in my head

Highlighted
userYGfli29yz0
Astronaut

Re: I thought it was frustrating that the talk to text featur...

@Sflboxter  - 

I was having the same frustration but was finally able to figure it out (it is a little buried).

Settings > General Management > Language and input > On-screen keyboard > Manage Keyboard 

Turn off "Samsung Voice Input"

Make sure "Google voice typing" is enabled

Voila!   The microphone in my texting and email apps now pulls up the Google Voice Typing with the gray underlined words for me to pick alternative word options as I was used to on my Galaxy S7.

Hope that solves it for you too!

Dobby_is_Free
Constellation

Re: Speech to Text Features Missing on the S10

U mean this?

Screenshot_20190725-164730_Messages.jpg

You can still use it at S10. Just need little Setting like below.

Screenshot_20190725-164551_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20190725-164617_Samsung Keyboard.jpg

Screenshot_20190725-164634_Samsung Keyboard.jpg

Screenshot_20190725-164647_Samsung Keyboard.jpg

userRON2m846Um
Constellation

It's not when the spelling is wrong, it's when or chooses words that are completely different than I say, the s7  Recognize that the word might be different than it understood and allowed for editing. The S10 does not

userMh93UdW2bt
Constellation

When you use the text to speech even turning on the auto spell check, it still does not work. Thanks though!

userCjZnju47zA
Astronaut

I am totally with you on this. I loved the sub feature in my 7s edge  . My 10s+ is not at all user-friendly now for speech-to-text.

userMLKTdshe9Q
Constellation

Same. Very upset... and my words are way off. 

userMLKTdshe9Q
Constellation

Gboard from Google play fixes this!!! All my words are correct again and I am able to go back to fix a work with out it jumping and deleting the while word or capitalizing the word I'm trying to fix. I was about to return my phone lol. I use speech to text all the time. Definitely download Gboard and your phone will be back to normal like the s7

userL665vSomV5
Constellation

THIS TOTALLY WORKED!!!