cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constellation

Spontaneously cracked screen Samsung Galaxy s10

So, something very strange happened to me this morning. I put my Samsung Galaxy s10 on my bedside table after activating my alarm. The next morning I woke up and picked up the phone to turn off the alarm and immediately noticed a hairline fracture on the right side of the screen near the power button. There is no impact point and all fractures originate from the same spot where the glass meets the aluminum body of the phone (see images) 

I have had this phone for 6 months now (23nd of July) and I have always kept the screen/scratch protector on that came with the phone. I also always keep the phone in a Speck Presidio Pro case and have never dropped the phone. 

I am very disappointed that such an expensive phone just randomly cracks like this and am completely puzzled as to how this could have happened. 

Has this happened to anyone else? 

Top view of the fractureTop view of the fracture

Close up of the fracture origin pointClose up of the fracture origin point

Side viewSide view

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Spontaneously cracked screen Samsung Galaxy s10

Yes, this to me as well. I always keep the phone in the suggested s10 case that I purchased directly from Samsung.   I contacted customer service many times to express frustration and stating this must be a design defect.  Since the crack is near the power button, the insurance I purchased from Verizon will not cover it, and must be a phone replacement for $199 vs the $29 like other cracks.

Highlighted
Asteroid

I had a note 10 plus that had a spontaneous screen crack.   It was never dropped. I placed it in my front pocket with the screen facing in. I have carried my phones in this fashion, since the first generation of the iPhone came out.  I had no other objects in my pocket.  I also had installed a tempered glass screen protector that was not damaged.   So I'm confused on how my screen cracked.   The screen is totally unresponsive and the bottom half of the display is bright white while the rest displays normally. 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

@Rusty1701 You can take your phone to a local service center to get an assessment. You can use this link here to find a service center in your area. 

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/location

Highlighted
Constellation

I'm not sure what you mean by no impact point--the glass extends all the way to the edges so the crack could very easily be the point of impact in a fall--there isn't any reason the area with the buttons would also be damaged in a fall which seems to be what you're trying to suggest. The phone has no raised bezels to protect the display on the edges of the screen so it's very likely nothing other than the display would show signs of damage if you dropped your phone. This is the fundamental nature of any phone with an edge to edge display since glass cracks and this type of design offers no protection for the display in any type of fall.