cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Messier_M42
Cosmic Ray

Stock Samsung camera app color issues: inaccurate colors, white balance off, greens over saturated

S10 stock camera app seems to be auto-processing images.  I don't want it to do this.  Darks and shadows are getting brightened.  Saturation is getting boosted.  Overall image seems to be brightened as well.  The resulting images are unrealistic.

In an environment with overcast skies, it's not too big a deal and the images look great.  However, if you have great light or are in a bright environment with a high degree of bright / dark contrasting areas, your images are going to come out looking unrealistic.  The issue exists no matter if you have HDR on/off OR if you have Scene Optimizer on/off. 

I've recently installed the Google Camera app that's been ported for use.  Wow!  Images are absolutely realistic and lifelike.  Color balance is great.  Nothing is getting saturated. 

Here is a comparison I took on a sunny day.

• Top image is with Google Camera:  Totally lifelike and realistic
  • Bottom image is with the stock Samsung camera app.  Greens are far over-saturated, darks and shadows are brightened.  The overall image is brightened.  You can't see much blue in the sky.

Gcam-vs-Samsung_compare_v1.JPG

I really hope the Samsung devs get this color issue worked out.  I'd like to keep using the stock Samsung camera app.  I really like the features.  It's fast.  However, I'm totally ditching it though if:

• Samsung can't address the color (or give us ways to adjust color and saturation...)
  • Google Camera app, which is still being developed, gets full functionality across all 3 lenses.

Let's go, Samsung!  You can do it!

47 REPLIES 47
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Stock Samsung camera app color issues: inaccurate colors, white balance off, greens over satura

@Messier_M42  just my personal opinion here, but the top image looks dull, lifeless, and desaturated. 

I enjoy the Samsung camera app.

Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Stock Samsung camera app color issues: inaccurate colors, white balance off, greens over satura

@userosOaO9LG9XI agree! The top picture looks much more lifelike and is probably what your eyes saw. The stock app picture doesn't look real at all! I would definitely prefer my picture to look more realistic.. no brainer. 

I thought my pics were horrible because I didn't have the right settings, but when I checked and tried different settings, they are just as crappy. The camera on my S9 was unbelieveably better than the one in my S10+. 

Samsung Care Ambassador

When it comes to photography and personal preferences, you'll get 10 different opinions from 10 different people. Personally I think the bottom (Samsung) photo looks more detailed and just as realistic as the top photo. However, I do agree that the greens are a little too pronounced. I'm surprised the stock Samsung camera couldn't be adjusted to tone those colors down a notch.

I've primarly snapped indoor shots with my own S10+, and in my opinion the photos come out very nicely. Accurate colors, detailed, sharp, and well-balanced. Have you tried using the "Pro" photo mode? There are some settings within there to adjust white balance and some other items that you can't adjust in regular photo mode. I never mess with those settings though...I use the filters on occasion which work quite well. Compared to photos produced from iPhones (newer and older models), I think the S10 produces vastly superior photo quality overall, and others have stated the same. As far as comparing to my S9+, S8+, and previous Galaxy models, the S10+ does seem better but the differences in photo quality are subtle.

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response helped resolve your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button. Thanks!

Messier_M42
Cosmic Ray

Regarding "personal preference", I absolutely, 100% agree with you.  Person "A" and person "B" can easily differ on what they like.  We have that right here in this thread.

That being said ...  I would think the software and hardware vendors would want to provide a true, real, lifelike capture of an image and then let us, the users, decide how to process it - whether by filters, built in camera image tweaking, or full on LightRoom or PhotoShop processing. 

Instead, we're getting images that Samsung "thinks" we should be getting.  Some people prefer this, some don't.    I say give us the lifelike image and then provide filters that allow the image to be shifted to look like the overly green above...

Regarding the "Pro" mode:  Absolutely.  You can dial it in pretty good.   We shouldn't be relegated to having to go manual though.  I'm using a phone.  I'm not using my Canon DSLR here.  Look at the Google Camera port that you can drop on the S10.  Point and shoot = realistic shot. 

That's what I notice so far too:

- In day light: photos are overprocessed in terms of saturation

- In low light: very grainy. Image quality is worse than S8, S8+, S9 and S9+

userj2zbq9hWx4
Asteroid

Not being there when the pic was taken, it's impossible to know which represents the scene best, but the bottom pic doesn't look realistic. The shades of green seem to be too closely colored, the top picture looks to be more natural.

Messier_M42
Cosmic Ray

That is absolutley correct.  The top image is true to color while the bottom image appears to go through some sort of auto-processing in the Samsung camera app that brightens darks and over-saturates colors.  Look at the lack of blue in the sky in the bottom image...

Samsung Care Ambassador

@Messier_M42 Google camera app is not optimize to work on samsung devices but to me I prefer the quality of the stock samsung camera. I have both the google camera app and stock camera and i prefer to use samsung camera for clarity and better picture to my liking.

20190411_133349.1.jpg

20190411_133056.1.jpg

20190411_132045.1.jpg

═════════════════════════════════════
If you post new question please specify your Phone model and Carrier.
If you like my comment please hit ♥
if I answer your question please hit the 'accept as solution' button
Messier_M42
Cosmic Ray

The stock Samsung app is a very neat app.  I really like all the features in it.  I'm not trying to bash it at all.  The colors come out wrong though.  The pics you posted look REALLY good.  The greens look just like my greens in the Samsung pic I posted.  But go back and really look at your pics and then look at the actual land and trees and fields you're taking a pic of and you can start to see where the images, while they look good, aren't true to life.  The greens just aren't right (especially in instances when there is very good light and/or a large amount of dark+light contrast).  Everything is color saturated. 

I love saturation.  I'm into astrophotography.  I have to keep my hands away from the saturation controls when I'm processing images though. 

However, when taking every day pics, I want them to come out as true to life as possible.  Once you find the right Google Camera port for your phone, the difference is night and day.  If you wish to start applying saturation to your images afterwards, go for it.  Go crazy with it if you want!  Apply filters, tweak the white balance, etc... 

I just feel we should have the "base image" be true to life without any vendor auto-processing applied.  I don't want images coming out the way Samsung thinks we should see the images.

Here is another comparison.  Overcast sky.  Because of the overcast sky, there's not a huge amount of bright / dark contrast difference. 

• Top Image is Google Camera.  Completely true to life.
  • Bottom image is Samsung camera app.  It looks really good!  However, note the differences.  The shadows are brightened (the duct work and the steel on the coolers is definitely not that silver, bright, and clean looking), the greens are boosted in saturation.  Loss of detail in the clouds because the shadows are brightened.  Loss of detail in the bushes as the greens are saturated too much.  Water tower isn't as sharp due to the brightening of shadows.

Gcam-vs-Samsung_compare_v3.jpg