cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userytfJovifMf
Asteroid

Switching

Hey guys! I've been thinking about switching to the new pixel 4 or pixel 4 XL when it comes out for many different reasons. I like the idea of day one software updates, clean UI, and that amazing camera. I believe that Samsung would be an even bigger hit if they had those three things but with the Samsung hardware form-factor. I love Samsung, but I think it might be time to switch. Let me know if any of you guys are former pixel owners and the pros and cons of switching to a pixel device.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Switching

I'm a former Pixel XL owner but I also used Pixel 2 and 3 devices. The first 3 generations of Pixel phones all had terrible build quality and were plagued with serious hardware and software issues that you would never read about unless you went on the official Google Pixel support thread. They also cost about twice what they should at launch and tend to be available with deep discounts if you can wait a few months. The Pixel XL and 2XL were both available with $500 discounts (which brought the price down to what it should have been at launch) after 6 months but Google started discounting the Pixel 3 devices just 2 months after launch. I would not recommend a Pixel but if you have to see for yourself at least wait for the discounts and don't buy a Pixel 4 at launch. My $200 Xiaomi MI A1 felt more premium than my $1000 Pixel XL.

userytfJovifMf
Asteroid

I currently have the g camera ported to my S10. I just wish the Samsung to get the software updates on lockdown.

Honored Contributor

@userytfJovifMf wrote:

Hey guys! I've been thinking about switching to the new pixel 4 or pixel 4 XL when it comes out for many different reasons. I like the idea of day one software updates, clean UI, and that amazing camera. I believe that Samsung would be an even bigger hit if they had those three things but with the Samsung hardware form-factor. I love Samsung, but I think it might be time to switch. Let me know if any of you guys are former pixel owners and the pros and cons of switching to a pixel device.

I had many phones(including original Pixel) and use them for very few months, then just sell them in the best condition possible.  Here is the thing. I own Pixel 2 at the moment and have not sold it, nor did I trade it in, don't know why.  I bought it used on eBay in June of 2018 and I still like it.  These devices come with 2 year warranty with at least 3 years of OS/Security updates.  My phone is still under warranty until mid-December of 2019.  Fast UI, fluid operation and even though the phone is almost 2 years old, I have never reset the device.  I do agree with @Samsung_BbvXXRb about the price, but at least my Pixel 2 didn't have issues.  You get quicker software updates, join beta for the OS and other incremental updates as well. Samsung may have some useful features which are under "Advanced Features", but I can easily live without any of those.  If you can get Pixel phone cheper than retail price, then it is a good device.