cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Text previews gone after Android 10 update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

After the Android 10 update I no longer get text message preview popups near the top of the screen with the sender and the first few words. I am not referring to the smart pop-up view feature. This notification draws over the home screen, apps, and would show up on the lock screen with AOD set to 'tap to wake'. Right now I get a icon on the notification bar next to the time and my phone will vibrate/make a sound and icon badges work. 

I've turned on and off all of the message notifications for the default messaging app. I have notifications set for 'show as pop-up', I allow in-app notification previews, I have turned off Adaptive Notification management. My messaging app is not regulated by battery management and I have cleared the messaging app cache and data. I have cleared my phones cache partition. I have also tried switching the default messaging app to the Verizon one and it did not change anything when I switched it back. I don't know what else to do.

I rely on these pop-ups because my phone is usually on silent at work and it's helpful to see the notification when my screen is off or in an app.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Text previews gone after Android 10 update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

*Solved* Went into Gnereal Management > Reset > Reset Settings. 

Upside: It worked

Downside: Have to set up phone again

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just to verify with you, have you gone to settings > lock screen > notifications > view style and set that to detailed. That then changes from just showing icons back to actual message. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the 'view' setting set to 'detailed' already. The notification on the AOD display is a text message icon, whereas the lock screen will display the message details.

Right now my AOD is set to 'Tap to show'. Previously, when I got a text, the same pop-up preview banner I recieved when the display was on, would show on the blank AOD screen all by itself.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The banner popup that has the message icon and says "Matt Test" is what I am missing on my device. The device this was takwn on is a Galaxy S10e running Android 9. However, my mom has a S10e running Android 10 and update 11 and still has this type of preview popup. So I know that it isn't a feature that was removed by the updates.

Resized_Screenshot_20200225-224407_One_UI_Home.jpeg

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Does it occur if you place the device in safe mode?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Larry,

I just put my phone in safe mode. It did not resolve the issue. I still recieve a notification in the status bar, a vibration, and icon badge. But the banner is missing.

This may not seem like a big deal, but I acutally miss a lot of texts because of this. I often have to have my phone on silent at work and I would get the text preview  banner even when the phone screen is off since I have my AOD set to 'tap to wake'. And even when using the phone, some apps have a while background, including the notification bar, so I can't tell that I recieved a message. 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The system cache partition stores temporary system data. It's supposed to allow the system to access apps more quickly and efficiently, but sometimes things get cluttered and outdated, so a periodic cache clearing can help make the system run more smoothly.  
Follow these steps:  
- Turn off the device. 
- Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key. 
- When the Android logo displays, release all three keys. 
- An ‘Installing system update’ message will show for 30 – 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear. 
- Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition. 
- Press Power key to select. 
- Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select. 
- When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted. 
- Press the Power key to restart the device. 
Your phone will take a little time booting up after the cache partition is wiped off of its contents as it will rebuild or recreate those caches. Don’t be alarmed if the phone gets stuck on the logo for a minute or two after this just don’t turn it off so that what was deleted will be replaced successfully. So, wait for your phone to become active. Don’t worry, this procedure is very easy and safe to do. You won’t damage your phone just by wiping the cache partition.  

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Done this twice already. Actually, second time was this morning after I tried putting the phone in Safe Mode. 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You are a genius!! 😆😆😆

Thank you?

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a galaxy s8 plus do I get the update Android 10