cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userTNreDMvZdd
Asteroid

Top notification bar not responsive to touch.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a Samsung s10+ and recently began having this bug where I can't scroll down my notification bar from the top. I went into developer settings and enabled the option where it indicates where I touching on the screen. Every other part of the screen works except the top. Except for when I open up an app like YouTube, then the top of my screen starts glitching out and spazing. The touch indication starts going off randomly at a very fast and random rate, causing the notification bar to be pulled down. Anyone have any clue as to what's going on? It seems to be a bug rather then the screen itself being damage.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Top notification bar not responsive to touch.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No, don't feel bad. I'm here for YOU and am happy to assist.

Although I am not there to verify, it sounds like this is a hardware issue.

My next recommendation would be to head over to https://www.ubreakifix.com/locations and see if there is a location near you. If so, I'd recommend calling in to request an appointment. They are partnered with Samsung and are certified. They'll be able to tell you if it's your hardware or not.

If you'd like to try one other thing before going to this company, you can also try a factory reset on the device. If you do this, I'd recommend creating a backup using Samsung's Smart Switch app.

Let me know if you still need assistance. 😀

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey @userTNreDMvZdd, I hope you're doing well.

I'm sorry to hear that your device is having some trouble. Personally, it sounds like it's an issue with the hardware rather than the software.

Let's try some software things to rule that out. First, let's clear the system cache. To do so, follow these instructions:

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
  3. When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
  4. An 'Installing system update' message will show for 30 - 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
  5. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
  6. Press Power key to select.
  7. Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
  8. When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
  9. Press the Power key to restart the device.

After that, does your status bar pull down and function normally?

I'll be here for you when you get a chance to respond.

Take care.

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.
userTNreDMvZdd
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Unfortunately, it did not fix the issue. Is there any other solutions you may have?

Thanks for the reply! 

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Darn. Let's try doing hardware diagnostics/scanning.

Go to your dialer and enter:

*#0*#

This will open up the built-in hardware diagnostics menu. You'll want to select the "touch" option.

In the draw option, see if you can draw at the top. (Note: to exit that page, you'll need to draw in on the squares making an X and border.)

Here are some screenshots for reference:20191009_163606.png

Screenshot_20191009-163431_HwModuleTest.png

Please let me know if you can draw on the top like my screenshot shows.

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

userTNreDMvZdd
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Screenshot_20191009-164851_HwModuleTest.jpg

So this is the extent that I can draw on the top of my screen. It's exclusively the notification bar that doesn't seem too work.

Here's a video that further show's the problem. I uploaded it to reddit. Asking the same question before I came here. Not sure if this will help.  

https://www.reddit.com/r/samsungs10/comments/dflyze/update_status_bar_on_top_of_screen_unresponsive/...

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for responding. Let's try something different. We'll be placing your device in Safe Mode. Safe Mode essentially boots your phone into an environment without any third party apps. This will help us determine if this is being caused by a third party app.

To boot into Safe Mode, follow these instructions:

• Press and hold the power button until you get the power options to pop up.

• Press and hold on the "Power off" button. By doing this, you'll now get a green button that says "Safe Mode."

• Press the Safe Mode button.

You'll know have the device boot into Safe Mode. Now you can test your notification bar pull-down to see if it works or not.

If it works fine in Safe mode, you have an app that is interfering with your device and we can go on from there.

To get out of safe mode, simply reboot your device.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

userTNreDMvZdd
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Went into safe mode and the problem continued. I feel bad that nothing is working and feel like I'm dragging you on with my problem. Sorry!

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No, don't feel bad. I'm here for YOU and am happy to assist.

Although I am not there to verify, it sounds like this is a hardware issue.

My next recommendation would be to head over to https://www.ubreakifix.com/locations and see if there is a location near you. If so, I'd recommend calling in to request an appointment. They are partnered with Samsung and are certified. They'll be able to tell you if it's your hardware or not.

If you'd like to try one other thing before going to this company, you can also try a factory reset on the device. If you do this, I'd recommend creating a backup using Samsung's Smart Switch app.

Let me know if you still need assistance. 😀

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

View solution in original post

userTNreDMvZdd
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Great! Thank you, I'll try to factory reset and if that doesn't work I'll find a location. 

Thanks again!

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You are welcome! Let us know what happens!