Original topic:

Translucent/blurry notification bar makes me physically ill and animations are worse

(Topic created on: 1/26/21 10:52 PM)
userirsq5ya4cx
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S10

I just upgraded my S10e to Android 11 and the notification bar is now translucent and blurry. This makes me physically ill. Apple has a setting to reduce these sorts of effects in the accessability panel but I cannot find a similar setting on Android.

The animations are now nonsensical too, which also makes me physically ill. I found a setting to remove them, which is better, but I prefer the previous animations. No animations is a little disorrenting too, mostly because many things don't respond instantly and there's very little context about where things were/are because everything is full screen.

I'm impressed by how much attention these features are getting but they seem to be misguided. The guidance seems to be just "add effects and animation" instead of "improve the usability and experience using effects and animation".

4 Replies
user8zlezIkuvA
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S10

Absolutely, 100% yes to this. 

Sometimes when I pull my notification bar down very slightly, I don't want to blur the entire freaking screen I just want to see a little bit more of the email. 

0 Likes
userirsq5ya4cx
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S10

I see now that the notification bar is translucent white, which, on a white background, makes the line between the notfications themselves (white) and the background (basically white) indistinghishable.

0 Likes
RParr
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S10
There's an option to turn off animations in settings > accessibility, but this update ignores it.
user8skVf0Idki
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S10

Yes please, solve this. Also solve "Remove animations" not turning off ALL animations. Switching apps still has animations..

0 Likes