cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_Nate_
Cosmic Ray

US Unlocked S10 Security Update

I'm using a US unlocked Galaxy S10+ and I'm still on the May patch. Anyone know what's going on?

27 REPLIES 27
kda26
Cosmic Ray

Unlocked phones in the US are the last to get patches and...

Unlocked phones in the US are the last to get patches and updates. This is because the US carriers all have to 'approve' the patch works on their own devices first.

So, it's a pain. We have to wait for Verizon, tmobile, at&t, sprint to confirm the update is safe for it to be pushed to unlocked devices. I assume it's to ensure usability across all carriers since the unlocked variant needs to work on all the carriers and the US is special because some carriers use the GSM network while others use CDMA. Most parts of the world only use GSM.

MadCabbit
Asteroid

Re: Unlocked phones in the US are the last to get patches and...

I was just asking chat about this before I saw this post, and after beating around the bust a bit, I was told this:

"I have checked with my Supervisor. We are expecting new security patch update very soon. May be within couple of days."

Is there any truth to this, or was the agent just trying to blow me off?

amanda95
Galaxy

Re: Unlocked phones in the US are the last to get patches and...

@kda26 wrote:

Unlocked phones in the US are the last to get patches and updates. This is because the US carriers all have to 'approve' the patch works on their own devices first.

So, it's a pain. We have to wait for Verizon, tmobile, at&t, sprint to confirm the update is safe for it to be pushed to unlocked devices. I assume it's to ensure usability across all carriers since the unlocked variant needs to work on all the carriers and the US is special because some carriers use the GSM network while others use CDMA. Most parts of the world only use GSM.

How many  unlocked phones are sold compared to the number of carrier phones sold?

MadCabbit
Asteroid

Re: US Unlocked S10 Security Update

Well, I am talking to an agent through chat, and after beating around the bush, they claim their supervisor told them there should be a new update within a few days.  Assuming I wasn't just being blown off, I hope we see something, since the carriers are up to ASG8 released a couple days ago, the second on the revision 2 bootloader.

kda26
Cosmic Ray

FWIW I have an unlocked S10 and am still on the may patch...

FWIW I have an unlocked S10 and am still on the may patch as well.

MadCabbit
Asteroid

I understand why Samsung would push the carriers first, but its been three months already.  There really isn't any good reason I can see why there hasn't been something by now.

Samsung Care Ambassador

Stay tuned!

═════════════════════════════════════
If you post new question please specify your Phone model and Carrier.
If you like my comment please hit ♥
if I answer your question please hit the 'accept as solution' button
userHxB0fwbtRt
Cosmic Ray

It would be great if they can fix the confirmed reception issues. Otherwise there will be an influx of warranty claims under the 1 year warranty.

ChadH42
Constellation

another 3 months?