Original topic:

Unlocked galaxy S10 on TMobile access to 5G

(Topic created: 02-21-2019 08:05 AM)
RockOnRay
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Good Morning All, 

I am a tmobile customer and I am planning on buying the S10+ Unlocked through Samsung. As we all know the 5G is coming to market sometime this year (or maybe already here). My question is if I buy an unlocked phone from Samsung and use it on Tmobile network, is it going to lose any (old or new) features?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Kingtiger
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Typically an unlocked Galaxy flagship will lose a couple features when compared to the same version carrier locked.  In the case of the Galaxy S9 unlocked vs carrier locked, you would lose something like 1) voice over LTE (voice over LTE provides cleaner, clearer, sharper voice communication over LTE lines).  Great feature where LTE is solid.  2) Visual voicemail or visual voicemail features like text to speach or speach to text.  3) OS and Security updates are much slower than carrier locked versions.  But, like the other poster mentioned, we really don't know what is lost vs carrier locked until the phones are in hand.   Last year I went with carrier unlocked S9.  I lost VOLTE on Verizon, or maybe just Voice-over-WiFI (I just can't remember), and lost a feature in visual voicemail, but didn't lose visual voicemail.  Updates were pathetic, months behind for security updates, but I love the unlocked freedom to move from carrier to carrier.  I ordered unlocked again.

View solution in context

7 Replies
Samsung_Stephanie
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Regretfully we couldn't say for sure as features and specifications are subject to change without prior notification. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Solution
Kingtiger
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Typically an unlocked Galaxy flagship will lose a couple features when compared to the same version carrier locked.  In the case of the Galaxy S9 unlocked vs carrier locked, you would lose something like 1) voice over LTE (voice over LTE provides cleaner, clearer, sharper voice communication over LTE lines).  Great feature where LTE is solid.  2) Visual voicemail or visual voicemail features like text to speach or speach to text.  3) OS and Security updates are much slower than carrier locked versions.  But, like the other poster mentioned, we really don't know what is lost vs carrier locked until the phones are in hand.   Last year I went with carrier unlocked S9.  I lost VOLTE on Verizon, or maybe just Voice-over-WiFI (I just can't remember), and lost a feature in visual voicemail, but didn't lose visual voicemail.  Updates were pathetic, months behind for security updates, but I love the unlocked freedom to move from carrier to carrier.  I ordered unlocked again.

Leinz
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

The UNL XAA S10s support the following on T Mobile: VoLTE, VoWifi, and Carrier aggregation. 

LTE bands are all present. 2, 4, 5, 12, LAA, 66, and 71. Notice anything? Well, LTE U (252/255) is absent, but that's fine. LTE U never saw widespread adoption by TMO. B48 sits out too (not to be confused with B46/LAA). 

VVM, video call, and RCS are unavailable. 

If my reply has aided your issue please consider liking it. If the problem is solved you may pick it as a solution.
FranklynL
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey guys question for anyone. I was thing of purchasing the S10 plus unlocked. I was planning on using it for boost mobile considering the have the S10e which to me is a little small. Just wondering if the unlocked version of the S10plus will work for boost?

0 Likes
Pocchari1
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

If Boost offers service with Nano SIM cards, you should be able to use it on their network.  However, don't quote me.  I'd say contact them first because you make any purchases.

0 Likes
user5cY5ACqMkD
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

In my opinion, dont buy unlocked. U might end up here again asking for help on why u dont have certain features. I paid $1000.00 on the s10+ unlocked only to know find out some features dont work. I could of bought it from my provider for the same price with all the working features. 

user62JAChC1FP
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

What features are you specifically looking for?

I have the dual sim international version G975F, I use TMobile and everything I need is working just fine. VoLTE, WiFi Calling, Visual Voicemail, etc.

The only thing I'm missing is LTE band 71, but it is of little consequence as that band isn't fully utilized yet as their still waiting for tv stations to give it up and it's mainly for rural areas.

I prefer unlocked versions as it is bad enough with all the uninstallable bloat Samsung puts in their phones ( ie, FB, Linkedin, Bixby, Samsung apps) I prefer not to add to the mix by also having carrier apps that I can't get rid of.

Also be careful with which model you buy from TMobile they have a bad habit of limiting the LTE Bands