cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Wireless Emergency Alerts keeps stopping.

I just attempted to play the emergency alert sample tone, but each time I try the WEA settings app crashes!

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Wireless Emergency Alerts keeps stopping.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus - the same is happening where the Wireless Emergency Alerts keeps crashing if trying to play a sample emergency tone. Also, I'm not receiving any emergency alerts. Yes, I have done everything to rectify this issue. Hello Samsung, please do not ignore this issue. DO NOT have people reset their devices to factory default settings. My carrier is Verizon. This is not a device issue. The last alert I received was March 2020. Samsung had two software updates since this time. Samsung, please rectify this issue with WEA services as this issue is impacting multiple people's devices and it's imperative/critical we receive these emergency alerts during these unprecedented times. Thank you! 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

I would recommend force stopping and clearing the cache on your stock messages app. Go to settings > apps . messages > tap on force stop > tap on storage and clear the cache. 

Are you using the stock messaging app on your device?

I would recommend wiping the cache partition on your device. The system cache partition stores temporary system data. It's supposed to allow the system to access apps more quickly and efficiently, but sometimes things get cluttered and outdated, so a periodic cache clearing can help make the system run more smoothly. Give these steps a try:

Turn off the device.
Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
An 'Installing system update' message will show for 30 - 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
Press Power key to select.
Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
Press the Power key to restart the device.

Do you experience these symptoms if you test your device in safe mode? 

If your phone is misbehaving, it's possible that a third-party app is causing the issue. To figure out what app is acting funny, you can use the Safe Mode feature. In Safe Mode, your phone won't run any third-party apps. This allows you to easily identity and remove the app that may be causing the problem. Give this link at try: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/

If you continue to experience these symptoms after the troubleshooting provided, I would recommend reaching out to your carrier for further assistance.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

To the Samsung Moderator, thank you for your reply. 

Your suggestions did not resolve the issues with WEA.  I have already factory reset the device.  Prior to doing this, I have already wiped the cache partition and started the device in Safe Mode.  The issue still persists.  I have contacted my carrier, Verizon, multiple times.  They suggested to reach out to Samsung and some indicated performing a factory reset.  Unfortunately, this issue is not getting resolved and Samsung and Verizon are providing me information that isn't helpful.  I have the Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, One UI Version 2.1, Android version 10, Baseband version N975USQS3CTD6.  The WEA is not a stand alone app.  It's part of the UI.  To access this is Settings, Connections, More Connection Settings, Wireless Emergency Alerts.  Samsung, you should know this since I listed my device in the previous comment.  I recieved one successful alert since I had this device since September 2019.  The only WEA received was March 2020.  There is NO 3rd party apps conflicting with this.  As I stated earlier, I had performed a factory reset and prior to this starting the device in Safe Mode to see if any 3rd party apps conflicted with the WEA.  In Safe Mode, the issue still persists.  I apologize for repeating myself but am feeling the need to emphasize the issue and multiple troubleshooting steps taken.  Ever since the successful WEA alert received in March 2020, Samsung pushed out two updates per my System Updates History.  Now, I have a device that has been reset back to factory default and tried the WEA without installing any 3rd party apps, and the WEA is still crashing.  If you try to play a Sample Tone, the app crashes.  If an alert is pushed out to other people's devices that I know, they successfully recieve these alerts.  My device does not receive the WEA.  I know others having Verizon as their carrier and they receive the alerts successfully.  I would like to know if anyone else with the same information I provided above and are on Verizon if they are receiving any WEA's.  I'm stuck with a Samsung device, the Galaxy Note 10+, that does not receive the Wireless Emergency Alerts.  We rely on these WEA's and really need a fix from Samsung.  This is not a carrier issue as my carrier, Verizon, does offer the functionality/feauture for WEA.  Thank you.