cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userMdO5DsO03K
Asteroid

Worst Decision I have ever made

So I have been going with iphone for years. I got fed up with the whole bend-gate, removing headphone port, and the battery life scandal so I thought I would try android. Three months ago I went to bestbuy and got a new S10+ thinking this is the latest and greatest when it comes to Anroid and boy was I in for a surpise. This whole experience has been a complete disaster compared to iphone.

First off the built in samsung apps are garbage. Samsung mail doesn't support basic encryption protocols needed for mailinabox (mail on ios does). The samsung notes app doesn't support notes servers like IOS. The contacts app and calendar app need helper apps that I had to buy and configure to be able to use calDAV and cardDAV servers that the IOS apps support by default. Basic apps like a compass don't come with the thing and you need to go find a ad-infested app to be able to use a bad compass. Half the built in samsung apps are just money gimmicks that they force you to not remove like Bixby and the Galaxy Store. Then there is visual voicemail. On iphone this is just built into the phone and voicemail works. On android I guess this relies on crappy third party apps and I have phone calls that come in and I never get the voicemail notification. 

Samsung call blockers also blocks legit phone calls and never tells me! Then it doesn't block the spammers. I had to completely dissable this. 

Then there are all the hardware problems. For a fancy camera the images are coming out very blurry. No where near as good as even my old iphone 6+. I googled this and apparently this is a known problems with some of the S10s and the only solution is a replacement. Second the phone always turns on when I have it next to my head and bumps buttons in calls and turns on in my pocket. I looked this up and apparently samsung tried to make the sensor in the screen and this has been nothing but problems with tons of users reporting this doesn't work right. Then there is the battery life. This thing chews through battery in 1 day. In order to get more everything needs to be turned off and cranked down to the minimum. Even then the battery is nothing amazing. The buttons are not in good spots and I accidently take screenshots all the time. 

The 4G singal on this is also AWFUL. I put this phone next to my GFs iphone SE and she gets 4 bars LTE and I barely get 1 in the same spot. I know I have sprint but this phone just makes the problem worse. The signal is TERRIBLE compared to my old phone. (This is also a hardware issue samsung has CONFIRMED exists)

Then there is google assistant. How useless this is compared to Alexa is just boggling. First off it can't even handle basic navigation queries. It is very hard to even activate it with my voice and you need to scream at it to activate. Then you can only say specific things like terminate navigation. Unlike Alexa you can't even tell it to google something (this is GOOGLE assistant right?) or look things up on wikipedia. All around worse than Alexa and Siri. It also activates a lot randomly or ends activation before you can even say anything!

Then there are just some serious android problems that I guess aren't related to this specific phone. First is the fact that android manages apps so poorly. I guess most android apps just decide they need to be running 24/7 and taking up ram and this is why android phones need 8GB ram. The stupid app sleeper then decides to close your apps randomly to save battery/ram since these phones eat battery/ram so much. So everytime I try to play spotify it wont play when the screen turns off because it has been put to sleep. I had to fiddle fart and try 10+ solutions to finally get something to work and the dang phone still puts it to sleep sometimes. If you google this problem thousands of people have it and this is seriously broken. It puts apps like my email app to sleep so in order to get email you need to fiddle fart with the settings to get it to stop sleeping or manually go check.  

Furthermore there is the fact that a massive amount of apps on the google play store are just flat out viruses, malware, advertisement loaded, broken, garbage. Sure the App Store has some of these things too but the amount on the play store is rediculous. It is just packed with low quality garbage. This combined with you need to go through the settings and fiddle fart to get apps to work and not sleep and you need to go through the most byzantine options menues that are not very intuitive make this a painful user experience. 

Bonus rant: The camera is always making clicking noises. Open a app that uses cameras and even if you aren't at the camera part it click clacks the camera shutter lowdly. Oh and there is no hardware volume mute switch and instead we have the hardware Bixby buy junk button.  The only issue I don't have that a lot of other people do is overheating problems but this is probably because I have everything cranked down to save battery. 

So even if this is junk and samsung isn't goint to fix it that is fine. I will live with this for a while and probably go back to an iphone. It just feels better to get all these frustrations off my chest after paying $800+ for this thing. 

28 REPLIES 28
user62JAChC1FP
Cosmic Ray

Re: Worst Decision I have ever made

Yes, the Samsung apps are complete garbage along with Bixby....

You need to figure out which apps in the playstore work for you, just like at Apple.

There are plenty of Android phones out there that quite frankly are much better.. This is my first Samsung in years and I also have an S10+, it will be my last....

Samsung_6a3ADhJ
Astronaut

Whatever you've been using for years, you are accustomed to. If you go into it comparing, it will not live up that. You must go into the new experience with an open mind, knowing that the two devices are totally different.

userMdO5DsO03K
Asteroid

If you would have read my post you would know this has nothing to do with getting used to a phone. This is about core problems and it being worse in general. 

My post talks about 

1. Poor design problems

2. Samsung verified hardware problems

3. Junk apps that you can't remove

4. Poor apps in general

Fade_Masta
Astronaut

Dude your straight hating on the phone right now.. seems like you weren't ready to leave apple.

I left apple this year and I love the switch.. s10 is a sexy phone with a beautiful display l, what's not to like. Besides obviously (sms mms)

userMdO5DsO03K
Asteroid

How about instead of saying I am an Apple fanboy either say a solution to all these problems or at least tell me that I missed some features in the apps. "not ready to leave apple" is not excuse for broken hardware. Look for 5 mins on these forums and you will see many people commenting on the poor picture quality, the poor battery life, and the poor reception. It is not just me and it is not just iphone. According to almost everyone even the S9 was better. 

Michael_01
Galaxy

Not to judge you or anything but that's a typical apple fan boy. 99% of the people that switch from apple to Samsung were all happy. Just admit it you're an apple fan boy. 😂

userMdO5DsO03K
Asteroid

If Samsung pushes out garbage like this I will proudly call myself an Apple fan. They don't sell dog shiet. 

Apple fanboy confirmed

Michael_01
Galaxy

It's not garbage first of all, second you looked in apps that no one uses, for example the mail app I am pretty sure everyone uses the gmail app not the mail app from samsung and we all know that Samsung apps are not the best but you are making it look like they are a company that they are starting to make phones 3rd remember Samsung and android phones are the ones who bring innovative stuff while apple just copies and makes it better if lucky. 4th the camera that clicks it's because of the aperture and that's not a problem from the phone. 5th no one uses the compass app in the phone except if you are a hunter and live mostly in the wilderness. 6th the pictures are one of the best and up to this day the s10+ still beats your iphone 11 "pro", maybe you just dont know how to use correctly the camera app yet. About the ram android only uses 4gb of ram at most and you have 4gb more for productivity like games multitasking and have more than 2 apps open at the same time, the so called app sleeper is what and all those so stupid battery saver is what makes the phone last longer. Plus dont say I am a a Samsung fan boy because my last phone was a iphone 8 plus and I am never going back to that ecosystem