cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

cpu overload and over heating

My 1 year old S10 after the most recent andriod updates were installed is overheating and i am getting a message about my CPU being overloaded and I have to restart the phone. 

Please help. I dont know whats causing it

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: cpu overload and over heating

Have you tried wiping the cache partition on your device? I would recommend wiping the cache partition. The system cache partition stores temporary system data. It's supposed to allow the system to access apps more quickly and efficiently, but sometimes things get cluttered and outdated, so a periodic cache clearing can help make the system run more smoothly. Give these steps a try:

1. •    Turn off the device.
  2. •    Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
  3. •    When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
  4. •    An 'Installing system update' message will show for 30 - 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
  5. •    Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
  6. •    Press Power key to select.
  7. •    Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
  8. •    When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
  9. •    Press the Power key to restart the device.

Also, I would recommend checking your device care to see what apps you are using the most.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Thank you so much for your reply. I tried that already. To be honest I'm not yet sure if the heat I feel is from normal use or from a problem.

I checked my battery  usage and saw that the system app - mlp - uses a lot of battery. I was only able to stop it but then it starts up again.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Thank you for that information. Do you have a lot of apps that use the location feature on your device?

Are any of them running in the background consistently?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

I use social media a lot. Facebook and instagram mostly, dating apps and things like uber and google maps are not used as frequently. 

I didn't know that many apps are linked to location. What's odd about the whole thing was that when I did the regular Android update and the cpu and battery overheating issue started. That was 3 days ago.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Thank you for that information. I would recommend a factory reset of your device. Important: Please save any information you need prior to the factory reset because otherwise your personal information may not be recovered. If you have encrypted the microSD card, you must decrypt it before resetting the phone. Otherwise, your phone will not be able to read the data on the card. From Settings, search for and select Decrypt SD card, and then follow the on-screen prompts.

Before you perform a factory reset, be sure to back up your personal data, so you don't lose it all. Give this link a try: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062029/

Highlighted
Asteroid

Thank you so much. It looks like I have no choice but to do the factory reset. I was trying to avoid that.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

You're welcome. Please keep me posted if you still experience these symptoms after performing a factory reset.

Highlighted
Constellation

I have exactly the same issues since the last update, but I use hardly any apps that require my location.

Highlighted
Asteroid

I turned off "allow background activity" in relation to the mlp app. It seems to have made a small difference in the phones temperature but I'm not sure if this is ideal.

I will probably end up doing a factory reset as was suggested.