cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

default email app

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I downloaded the Outlook app and like it better than the default Email app and Gmail App.  How do I set Outlook as my default email app?

Also, in attempting to make the Outlook app my default app I ended up hosing myself a bit.  I went to Settings > Apps > Email > Set as Default and selected "Clear Defaults".  It warned me that this might affect the behavior of other apps.  I did it despite that.  I also deleted all the email accounts associated with the default Email app because they were being handled now by Outlook.

After that I found that every App that looked at my Contacts (e.g., Messaging, WhatsApp) no longer had access to my contacts.  The Outlook App still had it's internal version of all the contacts.  I found that I had to add back my email account to the default Email account to have my full contacts list come back.  And, since I don't want that app to hound me (via notifications) about new mail received since Outlook is my email app of choice I had to disable notifications from the default Email app.  Oh, and there is apparently no way to uninstall the default Email app to take it out of the picture all together.  Though, I'm hesitant to do that now that it seems that so many other things are some how linked to it. 

I still haven't figured out how to define a default Email app.  When I go to Settings > Apps > Outlook there is no way to designate that app as the default app.  The "Set As Default" section just tells me "No Default Set" and I don't see any way to set that app as the default.  Also, when I go to Settings > Apps > ... > Default Apps there is no Email option. 

Thanks for any help / insight.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: default email app

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Make a document with an email address (Use Gdocs) as a link, It should ask what app you want to open with, Click Outlook, Then click always use this app.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Make a document with an email address (Use Gdocs) as a link, It should ask what app you want to open with, Click Outlook, Then click always use this app.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks.  That did the trick in terms of how to make Outlook the default email app.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Are you still using the Outlook app? If so do you still like it? I gave it a try but keep going back to the native email app. Your observations would be great!

Thanks,

JF

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes, I'm still using the Outlook app for my email.  I continue to prefer it.  It's working fine for my needs.  I'm biased though, since I've been using the Win10 Outlook App on my desktop and tablet for years.