JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

𝗨𝘀𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗛𝗼𝘁𝘀𝗽𝗼𝘁 - 𝗡𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗼 𝗠𝗮𝗻𝘂𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘆 𝗧𝘂𝗿𝗻-𝗼𝗳𝗳 𝗪𝗶𝗳𝗶

(Topic created: 01-07-2021 03:45 PM)
DGM
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20

When I first got my s20+  6 months ago, I seem to recall my wifi automatically turned off if I turned on hotspot.   But in recent months, I need to remember to turn off WiFi on my phone when turning on hotspot or else hotspot doesn't work. - - I assume everyone else has the same experience...? 

I was going to try to use a Bixby routine that automatically turns off wifi when turning on hotspot, but that doesn't seem possible.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
DGM
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20

I  just learned a lot talking with a Verzion Tech support person... I won't tell you just how long it took me to get that information! (too long!)

Anyway, here's how it all works:  If you are using WiFi on your phone, you cannot use hotspot (data) tethering at the same time.  It's one or the other.  So, if you want quicker speeds of hotspot (data) from your phone to your pc/mac, you need to make sure WiFi is off.  You'll notice a huge difference on your pc/mac if you happen to have a slow WiFi connection as I do.

I found out how to get my settings adjusted so that if I turn on my hotspot (data), it automatically toggles off my WiFi;  and vice versa.  That's kind of how I remember it being when I first got my S20+.    To get the settings to do that: settings/connections/mobile hotspot & tethering/mobile hotspot/configure ...scroll down a bit    advanced/turn off wi-fi sharing     - - this should enable only wifi or hotspot (data) to be on your phone at the same time.. turning one on should toggle the other off. - - You can check box "not to show you warning messages" in the future. 

One other tip since in this case one would be will be running their phone on data when using hotspot (data) is to go to recent apps/open apps and "close all apps".... so that you're not wasting data.  

This has been a learning experience for sure.

ps: This seems to be more of an important issue if one has a slow wifi connection and a faster data/hotspot connection;  in that case, you don't want a slow wifi network bogging down what you expect to be a faster hotspot (data) connection.  Hope this helps someone.

View solution in context

4 Replies
DGM
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20

Thanks for that tip.  I tried it, but the speeds stay the same.  If I turn on wifi on my phone, while still having hotspot on, the pc speed goes down to what my wifi speed is....real slow.  - - So, I have to keep wifi turned off on my phone when I use hotspot...sounds strange I know. 

Edit: a prior poster removed his post.  He was sayinig that he was able to have wifi turned on and still use hotspot data running on his phone.   He was saying "for him" there was not problem having both on at the same time.  - - It turns out this simply is not the way Hotspot works with our phones.

0 Likes
Solution
DGM
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20

I  just learned a lot talking with a Verzion Tech support person... I won't tell you just how long it took me to get that information! (too long!)

Anyway, here's how it all works:  If you are using WiFi on your phone, you cannot use hotspot (data) tethering at the same time.  It's one or the other.  So, if you want quicker speeds of hotspot (data) from your phone to your pc/mac, you need to make sure WiFi is off.  You'll notice a huge difference on your pc/mac if you happen to have a slow WiFi connection as I do.

I found out how to get my settings adjusted so that if I turn on my hotspot (data), it automatically toggles off my WiFi;  and vice versa.  That's kind of how I remember it being when I first got my S20+.    To get the settings to do that: settings/connections/mobile hotspot & tethering/mobile hotspot/configure ...scroll down a bit    advanced/turn off wi-fi sharing     - - this should enable only wifi or hotspot (data) to be on your phone at the same time.. turning one on should toggle the other off. - - You can check box "not to show you warning messages" in the future. 

One other tip since in this case one would be will be running their phone on data when using hotspot (data) is to go to recent apps/open apps and "close all apps".... so that you're not wasting data.  

This has been a learning experience for sure.

ps: This seems to be more of an important issue if one has a slow wifi connection and a faster data/hotspot connection;  in that case, you don't want a slow wifi network bogging down what you expect to be a faster hotspot (data) connection.  Hope this helps someone.

Members_ays6IBM
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Nice catch! I noticed this behavior for the first time on my FE and thought it was weird that I had to turn off wifi manually when turning on the hotspot. Why in the world would anyone need this for any valid reason? Other than some extremely unlikely cases, the only need I can see is to illicitly provide network access to devices that shouldn't be able to connect.

DGM
Sun
Options
Galaxy S20

Hey thanks. I didn't even realize one could tether their WiFi connection to other devices. And I would think in most instances one would connect their devices directly into a WiFi network.

I only came upon this issue because my wifi setting was interfering with my hotspot/data tethering. Thankfully I now have this all figured out. Hopefully others learn from my fumbling around with the issue. Thanks again.