Original topic:

5G Speeds With Your Carrier - What Are You Getting?

(Topic created on: 12/22/20 3:37 PM)
DGM
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S20

Just curious what speeds people are getting with their 5G speeds...  Is T-Mobile anywhere close to Verizon 5G speeds?  How about ATT?  Other carriers?

I suspect different regions might get better speeds than others.  I'm getting the following at home (N. CA)   Download 50-100 mbps;   Upload    5-20 mbps;   After midnight, speeds go way up.

Btw, this is the sub 6, "Nationwide 5g", not the faster 5g which is almost nowhere.

0 Likes
14 Replies
Only4Galaxy
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S20
I'm on T-Mobile with s20 ultra and I used to get 250mbps down and 50mbps up in my bedroom but now I'm getting 570mbps down and 100mbps up in the same room as before.

I'm pretty happy with the speed especially I don't have to go outside to get that kind of speed.
DGM
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S20

Wow, that's incredible!  I thought my overnight speeds were incredible, but they're way lower than your regular daytime speeds!  Past midnight I could get 185 down and 45 up....   it's good to know what the competition is getting. 

I wonder if there's any website that monitors 5g speeds nationwide.  That would be very helpful!

0 Likes
Only4Galaxy
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S20
Verizon might have 24/7 download speed with the mmWave not the nationwide.
0 Likes
DGM
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S20

I'm not sure what that means...24/7 download speed?  - - I do know that mmWave with Verizon is not in very many places across the country... it sounds good, but most people can't use it.  So essentially, Verizon is offering their slower, "Nationwide 5g"...

0 Likes
Only4Galaxy
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S20
what I meant to say was Verizon have some kind of display to show what's their 5G download speed at, especially with the mmWave.
0 Likes
Only4Galaxy
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S20
All the areas will get different speeds so its hard to tell which carriers faster. For example, this area Tmobile faster and other areas Verizon faster. It's hard to tell overall which one is faster
0 Likes
DGM
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S20

Thanks for the clarification... so if Verizon has a guage that shows speeds with their mmWave 5g, that's great.  Unfortunately most Verizon customers do not get mmWave 5G... Verizon's nationwide 5g is what they are offering most customers.  And as strange as it sounds,, sometimes for some reason, Verizon's 4G LTE is faster than their Nationwide 5g... but once you have a 5g phone, you cannot turn off the 5g signal with Verizon...

0 Likes
Only4Galaxy
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S20
You're welcome. Once T-Mobile used to be the same as Verizon when they first announced standalone 5G. It was slower than 4G LTE. It took them quite awhile for them to improve the speed.
I'm pretty sure couple of months from now your phone service will improve since all the carriers doing their best to make customers happy.

DGM
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S20

Getting back to your speeds with T-Mobile... who would have thought that T-Mobile is (at least in your area) superior to Verizon... And of course Verizon charges more for using their service under the premise that "they are the best".   - - I wonder if anyone is tablulating speeds from various carriers... it doesn't sound like it would be that hard to do.

0 Likes