Original topic:

5G Speeds With Your Carrier - What Are You Getting?

(Topic created on: 12/23/20 12:52 AM)
DGM
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S20

Just curious what speeds people are getting with their 5G speeds...  Is T-Mobile anywhere close to Verizon 5G speeds?  How about ATT?  Other carriers?

I suspect different regions might get better speeds than others.  I'm getting the following at home (N. CA)   Download 50-100 mbps;   Upload    5-20 mbps;   After midnight, speeds go way up.

Btw, this is the sub 6, "Nationwide 5g", not the faster 5g which is almost nowhere.

0 Likes
14 Replies
Only4Galaxy
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S20
I agreed with you on Verizon was the best, but that was for 4G LTE (fourth generation) but now we're heading to 5G (fifth generation) and anything can happen especially strong competitor like T-Mobile whose have the lead on 5G coverage and overall average speed.
0 Likes
DGM
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S20

When someone's regarded as "The Leader", customers seem to think that's always the case, and they don't mind "paying for the best".  But things have changed which is a great reason to have this thread.  We can compare companies/service to find the  "utlimate carrier" if there is such a thing.

One other thing that has heped T-Mobile tremendously is they have combined forces with Sprint.  I think that has made a big difference for TMobile.  

Another important factor when deciding on carriers "could be" customer service.  How's that working with TMobile?  - - Verizon used to be the best in this area, but now I think they've fallen to the bottom or close to it.

0 Likes
Only4Galaxy
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S20
I guess it just a personal preferences choosing the carriers.

It was a good combination between T-Mobile and Sprint (don't forget that Sprint was the boutique carrier). It made a big difference if it wasn't for the merged I probably wont be getting 570mbps download because of the mid-band they have acquired from Sprint(thanks to them).

I used to be with AT&T and the customer service was terrible especially they will put you on hold forever and sometimes they said they will call you back but that call never come. Now I'm on T-Mobile I have the best customer service ever. When I called they I just need to wait a little like 30 seconds to a minute (in my area). I don't have that much problem on the service so I didn't use customer service that much.
0 Likes
DGM
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S20

You must be in a busy, metropolitan type area, as I think that's where TMobile excels.   I'm 30 minutes south of the tech capital of the world, so I guess Tmobile "should be" pretty good around here too.   Verizon's mmWave 5G is pretty much non-existent around here.

Boy, your mention of 1 minute hold times reminds me of the old days with Verizon.   Those days are long gone!  And like you, I'm pretty techy so I don't "normally" resort to calling Verizon customer support. If I do, I need to get to tier-2 as tier-1 can't handle complicated tech problems which is understandable.

0 Likes
Only4Galaxy
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S20
Kind of. I'm 10 minutes away from downtown but 5G speed over there is horrible, it can't compare to where I live.

I'm a techy guy too, I just call customer service only if I see any flaws on my payment the rest I can figure out, since sometime you know a lot of stuff on phones more than you do.

I can imagine how you feel on those old day where the customer service was not that good. It's like you just sat there and kept listening the pre-recorded robot saying the same things over and over again.

I believe T-Mobile only have 1 customer service unlike Verizon where it breakdown into tiers unless I didn't use customer service enough.
0 Likes