Original topic:

Android 11 update issues with app folder layout

(Topic created: 12-18-2020 12:15 PM)
Kyte01
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

Hello everyone,

First time poster to the forums as I am unable to locate any help with the issue I am facing. As of this morning 7:00am PST my phone updated to Android 11 and it said the update was successful. I haven't gone through all the options available as of yet.

However, when swiping down on the screen to check my notifications, if I tap on any one app whether it be a mobile game, social media, news or whatever, I'm immediately taken back to the lock screen of my phone. The selected app never opens and the notifications remain. Has anyone else been encountering this issue?

I've restarted the device a few times and disconnected from WiFi to see if there is any change. I don't necessarily want to reset the phone so I'm curious to know if there are any other steps that can be provided before I start the path of having to reset my phone.

Thanks!

146 Replies
userL6T53JgEFA
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

I have the same issue and I haven't found a setting to put it back to how I had it before the update.  I do not like the smaller grid layouts because they are full of wasted space. 

Tronwolverine
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I really dislike the new 3 column layout.  All my folders have gotten larger, and it is a royal pain to now get to apps as now they are not in the same place as my muscle memory has them.  It tasks so much longer.  Why not offer options Samsung!  I am very disappointed and had I seen this post prior, I would have not updated my phone.  Samsung fix this!  Thank you for the post.  If I see a fix I will contact you Hespy

Wahoopsfan
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

YES! My muscle memory is ALL out of whack now. I much preferred the smaller icons..  Samsung, bring them back!!

userR3UAsrxrDm
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

Same here. It's like having a new phone all of a sudden... might as well give iPhone a try while I'm at it. 

Markav1ch
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Literally, who asked them to make that a permanent change without being able to customize it? That's been the entire point of Android vs other mobile OS's. Samsung, stop playing games with your fan base.

user9os8vZv61u
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

I had no idea something trivial like this could be so hugely annoying for me.

This really inconveniences me while using the phone and hope UI 3.0 next update will support better grid layout in folders.

monsterEd
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
they have no idea what they have done to some who had to have everything in the right place. I finally updated and this has halted all my productivity in using this phone. Even when the phone is closed I can feel that things are out of order.
userqmHmPA4req
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Omg.  My Note 20 Ultra just updated today and I have the 3 column folder issue.  I HATE this.  Why in the living would Samsung change this?  Android is all about customization and I bought the Note because I use it for business.  PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP!!!!!

userjKXLXnPhiH
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

I agree. Totally anoying and messes up every folder I have. Also noticed that font sizes for Google Calendar widget and several other widgets got larger for no reason and now don't display same amount of content as before. Adjusting system font size works but then makes everything else too small. Terrible changes that impact the usability of my S20 all day long. 

MJ99
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
Same here, but I found a workaround posted somewhere (for the widget problem). I changed the home screen grid from 5x5 to 5x6, and that got it pretty much back to where it was, or close enough anyway. I also think 4x6 works as well. Something about the 5x5 makes the widget text larger. Now, that workaround did not fix the grid size in the folders, of course, which is how I ended up here 😅