cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Apps losing connection

Hi, 

I have this issue that's driving me nuts. When I'm on wifi my apps lose connection from time to time. The wifi seems to be working but I can have whatsapp hanging while trying to download a picture or discord not updating. If I close and reopen the app sometimes it works again. I can usually browse normally while this happens... I've done all the normal troubleshooting including factory reset. I've tried two different routers. What's causing the problem? How can I fix it? Thanks! 

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Apps losing connection

It's definitely odd for this issue to occur after a factory reset. I would recommend downloading a 3rd party app that checks the Wi-Fi channels in your home (especially if you live in an apartment) and then change your Wi-Fi channel to something that is not used 

On the other hand, it could be a software issue due to the apps not having fully updated to the newest Android version causing caching issues within the app.

Highlighted
Constellation

Hi, thanks for your reply. Apps that have the issue are whatsapp, discord, Facebook, Instagram. I presume others do too but I don't use them often enough to know. Browsing seems to mostly work using Chrome. 

I doubt all of these apps can have an update issue? I'll look into the channel thing, I do live in an apartment but what I find strange is that this only started happening recently (around Android 10 upgrade time) and other devices on the same network work perfectly. I've also tried multiple wireless and routers but the issue remains. I have the same issue on a Samsung s10 by the way... What could it be?? 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

A lot of software is backwards compatible so that a new update doesn't make the app completely useless.

However, updates have new lines of code that will work differently than before and it is up to developers to optimize their apps to fit this new code.

So even though most of the app works correctly, there may be some storage that is no longer cleared because it is looking in a different place. If said storage is not cleared, it can build up and hamper the availability of resources to different parts of the app causing issues whenever the app is trying to import new information from the internet.

Highlighted
Constellation

Thanks! I checked and all my apps are up to date...

Anything I should do based on your message above that could fix it? 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

I would check for updates and try wiping the cache partition but it may just be a waiting game. If you feel absolutely compelled, you can try a factory reset but that's a lot of hassle for what's likely a software compatibility issue.

To wipe the cache partition:

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby / Power key.
  3. When the Android logo displays, release both keys.
  4. An 'Installing system update' message may show briefly before the Android Recovery menu options appear.
  5. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight Wipe cache partition.
  6. Press Bixby / Power key to select.
  7. Press the Volume down key to highlight Yes, then press the Bixby / Power key to select.
  8. When the process is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
  9. Press the Bixby / Power key to restart the device.
Highlighted
Constellation

Thanks, i tried the cache thing and also factory reset a few times. Initially I was restoring from my previous S10 but as that had the issue too I thought I may be copying on the root cause as well. So I did a fresh install. Same problem.

If it was, like you say, just a compatibility issue, wouldn't this forum be full of people with the same? Everyone has whatsapp on their phone it can't just be me?

Cheers

Francesco 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Phones are essentially hardware+software+personal information. If you perform a factory reset, it comes down to hardware+software. Between these two, it's highly unlikely that a hardware issue is causing specific apps to crash.

There are quite a few different Baseband versions dispersed across the same model which are dependent on carrier, region and sub-model.