cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Are The S20 Series Problem Plagued???

I am considering upgrading from my current Samsung S7 up to a Samsung S20. However I am a bit concerned after reading about the large number of problems owners are reporting in this forum and on the internet. Are these problems just for a small group of phones or is this more mainstream than we realize? I have been a loyal Samsung owner for many years but I am worried that such an expensive flagship phone has so many problems.

Can any S20 owners provide their feedback please? It seems that many of the reported problems relate to the S20 Ultra and the S20+.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Sun

Re: Are The S20 Series Problem Plagued???

To be completely honest with you. I have been happy with my S20 Ultra. Its been holding up great. There was the issue with the autofocus on the cameras that has now been greatly improved with the most recent update. Its still there at times but definitely not a huge problem anymore. Been loving this device. Then with the S20 my wife has, she has been loving it as well. No problems whatsoever as of yet. Its not every device having these problems. And a lot can be fixed with an update. But I recommend either going with the S20 or S20 Plus due to them having dual pixel auto focus. The focus on the Ultra can only be improved so much but it doesn't have that dual pixel auto focus. But the experience is great. You can't go wrong either way honestly 👍 I hope this helps. You can check out my recent review video if you'd like on my youtube channel named "Josh Quinonez".

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Thank you for replying Josh, I will check out your channel. I'm glad your S20 Ultra hasn't run into the camera glass cracking issue that seems to be widely reported.

Highlighted
Sun

Of course. Always here to help when possible👍

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.

Highlighted

I would take these camera glass breakage reports with a pinch of salt, if you look at the photos there is clear evidence of impact damage (ie: a perfect round hole / crushed glass) not just a normal crack or shatter a manufacturing defect would cause.

Also, the reports all come from randoms on mostly this forum (some others too), yet absolutely no well known YT reviewers or established sites such as Android Police etc have ran into the problem, and as (supposedly) wide spread and common as people would have you believe this issue is, you'd exepct at least one or two of them who really test their review devices and put them through their paces for weeks / months before releasing their reviews, to have also had this happen to them, but they haven't.

Also I have had my S20U since April and other than a couple of firmware bugs that are now fixed, it's been fine, I am also extremely aware of my expensive device being in my pocket, so I don't forget and walk into the corners of tables etc (Which I expect is the main cause of the camera glass problem), biggest camera setup to date and easy to catch it on something vs much smaller previous models glass)

The Autofocus is also fine on my S20U too, it's not Dual Focus, but it's still quick and accurate (Running the July 1st firmware update that came with a lot of camera fixes)

Highlighted
Asteroid

Quote ... "I would take these camera glass breakage reports with a pinch of salt, if you look at the photos there is clear evidence of impact damage (ie: a perfect round hole / crushed glass) not just a normal crack or shatter a manufacturing defect would cause."

Even Sammobile has an article about the "design flaw" so it is more than a pinch of salt I think (see the link):

https://www.sammobile.com/news/galaxy-s20-ultra-design-flaw-rear-camera-glass-break/

Highlighted

I know, Sammobile also got the changelog wrong about the July update, also take with a pinch of salt, they are in no way associated with Samsung

Not sure why so many people take Sammobile's articles as gospel, they are there for one reason only, to sell you a premium account to download firmware they got for free from Samsung servers