cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Auto Restart not working

I have the Galaxy S20 Ultra, and up until the update was pushed out onto my phone on June 5th, the Auto Restart was functioning properly.  I have it scheduled 3 nights a week for 3AM.  But now its not working.  

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Auto Restart not working

Have you tried wiping the cache partition on your device?

The system cache partition stores temporary system data. It's supposed to allow the system to access apps more quickly and efficiently, but sometimes things get cluttered and outdated, so a periodic cache clearing can help make the system run more smoothly.

Give these steps a try to wipe the cache partition on your device: 

Turn off the device.
Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
An 'Installing system update' message will show for 30 - 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
Press Power key to select.
Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
Press the Power key to restart the device

Please let me know if you continue to experience these symptoms.

Highlighted
Constellation

My device only has 2 buttons on the side.  The volumn up/down and the Bixby.  So, is there an alternative? 

Highlighted

The bixby key will work in place of the power key.

Highlighted
Astronaut

I have a Samsung Galaxy S20 ultra also and up until this previous update, my auto restart was working properly. Now I am having the same issue where the auto restart function isn't being automatically executed. Is there a quick way to verify that I wiped the cache partition according to your instructions SamsungSteph?
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Hello,

Were you able to follow the steps on how to wipe the cache partition provided by @SamsungCole? If you are still experiencing the same issues after performing this step, I would try testing your device in safe mode to see if a third-party app may be causing this to occur.

This step will temporarily disable all your third-party apps, but none of your personal data will be deleted. Your customization settings (Wallpaper, Themes, et cetera) will be reset to default once you exit this mode.

Please follow the steps below:

1. Turn the device off.

2. Press and hold the Power key past the model name screen.

3. When "SAMSUNG" appears on the screen, release the Power key.

4. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.

5. Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.

6. Safe mode will display in the bottom left corner of the screen.

7. Release the Volume down key when you see Safe Mode.

8. To exit Safe Mode, restart your device.

Let us know how your device responds after performing this step!

Highlighted
Astronaut

Yes, I was able to wipe the cache partition, but I am still having the same issue. Do I need to keep my phone in safe mode over night to see if it restarts or is it a quick on/off safe mode?
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

You would want to leave it in Safe Mode overnight to test if the issue occurs overnight. If it does not restart this would indicate there is an app causing the issue.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Astronaut

I took your advice and followed your instructions about leaving the phone in safe mode over night to see if a third party app was blocking the automatic restart but it made no difference. The phone still won't restart on its own.
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Thank you for confirming. The final step in troubleshooting before looking into other options would be to back up all files on the phone and do a factory reset. https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062029 Once you do this, test the AutoRestart feature again. If it still does not function properly, please send a private message with the model code and IMEI number. http://bit.ly/2XERsky

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.