cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Bought brand new S20, camera image quality seems unnatural

Hi. I ordered a brand new S20 off of Samsung directly after thoroughly researching and determining that it is the best phone for me from this generation, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit right now.

However, one thing that is really bothering me is that the camera image quality feels unnatural to me. The photos don't look like what I saw in YouTube videos. The outlines feel slightly blurry and unnatural, as if the photos went through some sort of poor image processing.

Have I not yet set the camera to the right settings or something? For example, here is a photo of my mouse. If you take a look at it, a lot of details feel washed out and just not right.

Screenshot_20201028-224816_Gallery.png

I've taken a mixture of both indoor and outdoor photos of various things with different cameras and different zoom levels, and they all seem like that. I don't know if this is intended, or if I haven't toggled something on yet.

If anyone has suggestions for what I should do, please let me know. It's a brand new phone, and I make sure the lens are clear before taking any photos.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Bought brand new S20, camera image quality seems unnatural

Helpful quick settings to enable:
- Scene Optimizer
- Shot suggestions
- HEIF(opinions vary on this one)
- Ultra wide shape correction
- HDR(Apply when needed selected)
Highlighted
Constellation

Hi @EthanB1809 , thank you for the reply.

I have already enabled all but HEIF beforehand.

The description for HEIF didn't seem relevant, so I left it disabled.

Any other possibility? Maybe something inside of Pro mode?

Highlighted
Astronaut

I'd personally enable HEIF, smaller file size and better image resolution over jpeg, but you might try to clear your cache and force stop it. If that doesn't work you can clear data too(this clears all the settings back to factory).
Pro mode is great if you actually enjoy photography, otherwise every photo you take you have to manually adjust each setting instead of point and click..
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

try this out... it may help you a little bit. just before you take the picture press on the screen where you want the camera to focus... that will ensure that you are highlighting and focusing in on what you want... good luck!