Original topic:

Camera not working

(Topic created: 05-02-2022 08:53 PM)
HanSeoulOh
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
I just upgraded my phone from a Galaxy S8 to a Galaxy S20 and when I try to take a photo within apps(like Facebook, Facebook messenger, Instagram, Snapchat,etc) it keeps on saying I need to close what ever other apps are using the camera(which non are open) and won't let me take a photo within the apps. Video chats also don't work on these apps. Any thoughts on what can be causing this?
0 Likes
4 Replies
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S20

Thank you for reaching out. I understand your frustration with your camera. If your phone or tablet is misbehaving, it's possible that a third-party app is causing the issue. To figure out what app is acting funny, you can use the Safe mode feature. In Safe mode, your device won't run any third-party apps. Give this link a try: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/

Also try to wipe the cache partition. Try the following steps:

Step 1: Turn off your phone.

If it’s still powered on, press and hold the Volume Down and Power keys for a couple of seconds until the Power options show, and then tap Power off.

You would know if your device has completely powered off if it vibrates slightly shortly after the screen turned black.

Step 2: Press and hold the Volume Up button and the Power key for 8 seconds.

Most of the time, it won’t take up to 8 seconds before you feel a slight vibration followed by the Samsung logo’s appearance on the screen.

So as soon as you feel the vibration or when the Samsung logo appears, release both keys and wait until the device enters the Recovery mode.

You would know if you reach that screen if you can see the Android recovery menu options in yellow text.

Step 3: Use the Volume Down rocker to highlight wipe cache partition.

Make sure to select ‘Wipe cache partition’ and not ‘Wipe data/factory reset’ if you don’t want to lose your important files and stuff in your phone.

Step 4: Press the Power key to select it.
Step 5: Press the Volume Down button once to select ‘Yes’ and then press the Power key again to select it.

HanSeoulOh
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
I just did both of those and still nothing. It does seem like only the front facing camera doesn't work cause when I wipe the camera data and cache, the rear facing works just fine but when I swap to the front one, I get a "Warning Camera failed" and this is on the actual camera app that comes with the phone
0 Likes
Who_Dis
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S20

the camera failed could be either hardware or software... you'll need to confirm with samsung through issue reproduction then reporting using samsung members app > get help > error report.

You'll be guided to visit authorized repair center for hardware related issues or receive a software fix  for software related issue.

0 Likes
HanSeoulOh
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
I tried doing that and it said everything was all good so I took it back in and they installed a new camera and it works golden now
0 Likes